Duo get among the medals at High Wycombe
MELBOURN Judo Club won silver and bronze medals at the prestigious Northern Home Counties (age banded) competition at High Wycombe at the weekend. Emma Reid, who won silver at the National Championships six weeks ago, lost her first contest, but came bac
MELBOURN Judo Club won silver and bronze medals at the prestigious Northern Home Counties (age banded) competition at High Wycombe at the weekend.
Emma Reid, who won silver at the National Championships six weeks ago, lost her first contest, but came back in tremendous form to win her next three contests to take silver in the girls under-44 kilo category.
Megan Sorensen, in the girls under-63 kilo group, had seven potential opponents. She too lost her first contest against a formidable opponent six grades her senior from leading club Camberley,.
However, she put things right to win her next three fights for a deserved bronze.
Last weekend at Royston Leisure Centre more than 50 members enjoyed a "funday", with games.
This weekend, with the last session of what has been a great year for the club, members will reflect on a series of medal wins that include a national silver and a northern home counties gold.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 7 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 8 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
- 9 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 10 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
Another highlight of the year was the achievement of Sport England Clubmark accreditation for meeting high standards in "the playing programme", child protection, sports equity, and ethics and club management.