Duo celebrate club titles victories
MATT Fellingham and Kathy Betts have been crowned the men s and ladies Royston Tennis Club champions after another highly contested tournament. Betts saw off Christine Knight in a close two-set win, beating the ladies captain 6-3, 7-5. Fellingham won a
MATT Fellingham and Kathy Betts have been crowned the men's and ladies' Royston Tennis Club champions after another highly contested tournament.
Betts saw off Christine Knight in a close two-set win, beating the ladies captain 6-3, 7-5.
Fellingham won a very exciting men's final despite losing the first set to Andy Holmes 7-5.
However, Fellingham hit back to take the second set 7-5, before pulling out the stops to take a deserved third set with a 6-3 win.
Meanwhile, the club resumed its Winter League action with a number of impressive results.
The ladies beat Cocks & Hens 7-1 at home, with Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Emma Daintrey, and Karim Lambert on fine form.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 3 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 4 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 7 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 8 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
The men's team also won 7-1, against Saffron Walden II, with Matt Fellingham, Andy Holmes, Richard Fosbeary, and Mike Fellingham claiming the points.
The mixed first team also registered a win with a 5-3 victory against University Press, while the mixed second team also won 5-3 away to St Neots.
The mixed third team were not so fortunate however, and went down at home against a strong Huntingdon II.
The club's juniors had to settle for a share of the spoils in their match, with a 3-3 draw with Broxbourne, as Emily Griffin, Bonnie Townsend, Nathan O'Looney, and Alex Wilson worked hard for the result.