Duo celebrate club titles victories
MATT Fellingham and Kathy Betts have been crowned the men s and ladies Royston Tennis Club champions after another highly contested tournament. Betts saw off Christine Knight in a close two-set win, beating the ladies captain 6-3, 7-5. Fellingham won a
MATT Fellingham and Kathy Betts have been crowned the men's and ladies' Royston Tennis Club champions after another highly contested tournament.
Betts saw off Christine Knight in a close two-set win, beating the ladies captain 6-3, 7-5.
Fellingham won a very exciting men's final despite losing the first set to Andy Holmes 7-5.
However, Fellingham hit back to take the second set 7-5, before pulling out the stops to take a deserved third set with a 6-3 win.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the club resumed its Winter League action with a number of impressive results.
The ladies beat Cocks & Hens 7-1 at home, with Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Emma Daintrey, and Karim Lambert on fine form.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 5 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 8 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
The men's team also won 7-1, against Saffron Walden II, with Matt Fellingham, Andy Holmes, Richard Fosbeary, and Mike Fellingham claiming the points.
The mixed first team also registered a win with a 5-3 victory against University Press, while the mixed second team also won 5-3 away to St Neots.
The mixed third team were not so fortunate however, and went down at home against a strong Huntingdon II.
The club's juniors had to settle for a share of the spoils in their match, with a 3-3 draw with Broxbourne, as Emily Griffin, Bonnie Townsend, Nathan O'Looney, and Alex Wilson worked hard for the result.