Dunsford stunner seals it for Morden
Eaton Socon 1 Steeple Morden 2 STEEPLE Morden picked up all three points in their opening BIS League Division 3A match. From the start, Steeple played with flowing, sharp football. After seven minutes, Jamie Murphy linked up with Jim Edey on the edge o
Eaton Socon 1
Steeple Morden 2
STEEPLE Morden picked up all three points in their opening BIS League Division 3A match.
From the start, Steeple played with flowing, sharp football.
After seven minutes, Jamie Murphy linked up with Jim Edey on the edge of the Eaton box and drove the ball into the top corner to give the visitors the lead.
Edey almost made it two moments later when his close range effort cannoned back off the post, while Ben Holt menaced the back four at every opportunity.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
After 35 minutes Charlie Prothero pressured an Eaton defender into losing possession, freeing Roy Dunsford 20 yards from goal.
And Dunsford did the rest, producing a sublime finish that left the hosts' keeper floundering.
In the second half Steeple continued to dominate and Dom Holt was unlucky to see a deft chip strike the post.
With 15 minutes remaining, the hosts grabbed a goal, which thanks to the solid defending of Paul Hutley was only ever going to be a consolation.
- Steeple face division pacesetters Fulbourn at home on Saturday.
Steeple Morden: Tidey; Hutley, Bown, Collins, Donald; Murphy, D Holt, Prothero, Dunsford (Pennell); Edey (Parr), B Holt