disappointment for Louise
A LAST-MINUTE call-up for Royston pole-vaulter Louise Shortland saw the talented 21-year-old compete for a place at the Olympic Games in Beijing. Shortland travelled to Birmingham International Stadium on Saturday to take part in the Senior UK Athletics
A LAST-MINUTE call-up for Royston pole-vaulter Louise Shortland saw the talented 21-year-old compete for a place at the Olympic Games in Beijing.
Shortland travelled to Birmingham International Stadium on Saturday to take part in the Senior UK Athletics Championships and Olympic Trials.
Unfortunately for Shortland, she failed at the opening height.
However, Shortland said: "This was a great experience for me. I only had three days to prepare for the event, and had previously expected a rest, not the biggest jump of my life.
You may also want to watch:
"As a result, my preparation was not ideal, but I was pleased with the technical aspects of my vaulting.
"It was a great thrill to take part in the senior championships, alongside the country's top athletes, and this takes me another step towards my goal - the 2012 Olympics.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms