Di Charles wins lifetime achievement award for basketball dedication
- Credit: Archant
A long-standing basketball coach has been honoured for her work with a lifetime achievement award by Herts Sports Partnership at their annual awards ceremony.
Over the past 45 years, Di Charles, from Royston, has dedicated her time to Corvus Cornix Basketball Club through many roles including secretary, chair, president, coach and official.
At present she is the secretary of the Royston club and still devotes six-10 hours every week to the club and this increases to 10-16 hours during league competition weeks.
Greneway School assistant headteacher, Terry Graves, said: “Di is the glue that keeps the whole club together and maintains all the high standards of behaviour, conduct and fairplay that the club stands for.
“The young people involved in the club would not have experienced the learning opportunities and fun without her input.
You may also want to watch:
“As far as I am aware, Di has never received any award recognising her outstanding contribution to basketball. She took a lot of convincing to let me nominate her!”
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre