Di Charles wins lifetime achievement award for basketball dedication
- Credit: Archant
A long-standing basketball coach has been honoured for her work with a lifetime achievement award by Herts Sports Partnership at their annual awards ceremony.
Over the past 45 years, Di Charles, from Royston, has dedicated her time to Corvus Cornix Basketball Club through many roles including secretary, chair, president, coach and official.
At present she is the secretary of the Royston club and still devotes six-10 hours every week to the club and this increases to 10-16 hours during league competition weeks.
Greneway School assistant headteacher, Terry Graves, said: “Di is the glue that keeps the whole club together and maintains all the high standards of behaviour, conduct and fairplay that the club stands for.
“The young people involved in the club would not have experienced the learning opportunities and fun without her input.
You may also want to watch:
“As far as I am aware, Di has never received any award recognising her outstanding contribution to basketball. She took a lot of convincing to let me nominate her!”
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 4 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 5 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall