Depleted Vets hit Birchanger for six
Royston Town Vets 6 Birchanger Vets 1
INJURIES and illness left Town with just 11 fit men to choose from for their home game with Birchanger on Sunday.
Matt McQueen, Mark Saggers and Carlo Silenti were all unavailable due to injuries and Graham Hagger was ill. Places were filled by Ian Allen and Brian Cannon at right midfield and right back respectively.
Town enjoyed early possession but a resolute visitor’s defence prevented any goals until 20 minutes when Paul Lewis finally found a way past the ‘keeper following good work from Peter Leete.
Excellent displays from Kevin Flack and Nick King at the heart of Town’s defence ensured Birchanger rarely threatened the Town goal.
You may also want to watch:
Nick Humphries’ pace caused Birchanger problems throughout the match and he deservedly put Town 2-0 up with a fine left-foot volley after receiving a good through-ball from Geoff Pinner. John Moulding then scored the goal of the game when he cut in from the left wing and drove a great right-foot shot into the far corner of the goal.
A brief spell of indecision in defence allowed Birchanger to score a consolation goal but Town were soon on the rampage again and Humphries scored his second and Town’s fourth goal. He then thought he had converted a hat-trick only to see his goal-bound shot deflected past the ‘keeper by a defender. Leete completed the scoring with a well-directed shot inside the left hand upright.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
The Vets take on Hemingford at Garden Walk on Sunday.
Royston Town Vets: S Dobson, Allen, King, Flack, Pinner, Cannon, Smith, Humphries, Moulding, Lewis, Leete.