Depleted Colts win derby clash

Buntingford Cougars U-15 1 Royston Town Colts 5 AN injury-hit Colts side extended their unbeaten run with an impressive win at Buntingford in atrocious conditions. Royston started brightly but it was Buntingford who struck first against the run of

Buntingford Cougars U-15 1 Royston Town Colts 5

AN injury-hit Colts side extended their unbeaten run with an impressive win at Buntingford in atrocious conditions.

Royston started brightly but it was Buntingford who struck first against the run of play, breaking quickly down the right and slotting the ball home.

Colts, to their credit, were unfazed and continued to press hard, although the vicious wind at their backs was a hindrance rather than a help with many efforts being overhit.

But they battled well and their reward soon came when Adam Jinkerson met a looping cross and managed to prod the ball over the line.

Minutes later Colts were ahead, thanks to the first instalment of yet another hat-trick from goal machine Conor Barnard - a powerful strike after a trademark run right through the opposition defence.

Most Read

Both Ricky Williams and Roger Skeggs then went close before Barnard bagged his second, again powering through the defence and firing a low ball past the keeper.

Colts continued to dominate in the second half, with the in-form Skeggs making some neat passes and defender Ryan Ingrey tormenting Cougars with a series of impressive runs down the left. But it was Barnard who further extended the Royston's lead, his powerful drive giving the keeper no chance.

With Royston comfortably in charge it was left to Harry Noades to cap an excellent performance from the visitors, latching on to a cross before turning and blasting the ball home.

Royston Town Colts U-10 2 Biggleswade Blues 0

ROYSTON maintained their challenge for the Crow League and county cup double with a comfortable win against Biggleswade.

Colts took the lead after some good work by Jake Long on the left flank saw him turn and cross the ball into the box.

Confusion reigned in the Biggleswade defence and the ball bounced over the keeper and past the defender to nestle in the back of the net.

Apart from the occasional break from the Blues, Colts controlled the game even though the wind was against them.

The second half saw almost continuous Colts pressure and this nearly paid off straight from the kick-off when Matthew Stout knocked the ball to Long who played the ball to Jordan Campbell.

Campbell then played the ball forward to Long who played the ball to Stout, a quick one two between the pair saw Stout fire a shot in from the edge of the box but was denied by a good save from the keeper.

Stout was unlucky again later after a poor goal kick fell to him inside the Blues half, he quickly looked up saw the keeper out of his goal and was unlucky to see his shot hit the woodwork.

However, Stout was to get his reward when Long delivered a perfect corner to allow him to head home with ease to ensure Colts took all three points.

Royston Town Colts B 1 Biggleswade Reds 0

THIS was another excellent performance from the B team.

Colts created numerous chances throughout the game with Jack Pearce, Daniel Goodfellow and George Wheelerbailey all having strikes on target.

However, it was so nearly different when the Blues were awarded a penalty after Mitch Harness handled the ball in the first half.

Harry Townsend saved excellently in goal and eventually Colts cleared the ball after a mad scramble in the box to allow themselves to re-group.

The second half brought more consistent Colts pressure. Pearce was unlucky not to score when we was played through by Goodfellow, he went round the keeper and was unlucky to see his shot clip the outside pof the post.

Eventually Colts got their reward when Wheerlebailey played a delightful pass through the heart of the Biggleswade defence to Goodfellow leaving him one on one with the keeper and he slotted the ball under the on rushing keeper as he tried to close down the angles on goal.

Letchworth GCE U-12 1 Royston Town Colts 3

ROYSTON continued their winning run with a 3-1 away victory against Letchworth.

The visitors started the stronger and applied the early pressure through Will Heslam and Jacob Leighton on the wings combining well with Keiran Willis-Wright and Nicky Garbut in attack.

Letchworth then fought back with two swift breaks, the first of which was gathered and the second cleared by in-form keeper Connor Long.

The game swung again in Royston's favour as Anderson, Leighton and Willis-Wright took the game to Letchworth down the right hand side of the field.

Nicky Garbut then fired a torpedo from outside the box, which Willis-Wright gathered in and shot forcing a fine save from the keeper.

The resulting corner from Adam Sartini was sweetly struck and met by a trade-mark Louis Townsend header to put Town in front.

Further excellent work down the right kept the pressure on the Letchworth goal. The second goal came from a goal kick as Willis-Wright collected and fed Leighton who laid the ball off to Garbutt whose powerful strike found the target.

Letchworth countered immediately with a fine run down their right that outpaced the Town defence, the ball was well delivered and struck home 2-1.

Royston continued to have the lion's share of possession with Townsend, Green, Brennan and Sartini prepared to fight for possession in midfield.

However, once won the ball was often played in the air providing Letchworth with the opportunity to intercept and clear any danger.

The second half began with a fine break down the right by Heslam who out-paced the defence and fired a fine shot just wide of the post.

Further fine passing between Willis-Wright and Leighton put Victor Falletta in space to deliver a fine shot that was well held by the keeper.

The final score came from a Royston goal kick. It was collected by Hunter who delivered a sweet pass to Willis-Wright who used his pace well to break the line and running towards the right corner post finished superbly into a left bottom corner.