Depleted Chishill unable to hurdle Newmarket
Newmarket Town A 3 Great Chishill 1 BIS Division 2A WITH several senior players absent Great Chishill faced a tough task away at Newmarket on Saturday. Sixteen-year-olds Matt George, Adam Wright and Connor Tidey were given their first team full debuts but
Newmarket Town A 3 Great Chishill 1
BIS Division 2A
WITH several senior players absent Great Chishill faced a tough task away at Newmarket on Saturday.
Sixteen-year-olds Matt George, Adam Wright and Connor Tidey were given their first team full debuts but it looked as though a crushing defeat was on the cards when the visitors fell behind in the first minute after a free-kick was only half cleared.
Chishill weathered more early pressure and had a good spell of their own but they were unfortunate not to make a breakthrough.
They conceded a second before half-time when a long ball caught the defence out and Newmarket's striker finished with a cool lob over Matt George.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
The visitors enjoyed their best spell after the break with some good chances to pull a goal back as Gary Radford saw his close range effort blocked by the 'keeper's legs while another Radford effort rolled agonisingly wide.
Tom Hodge's cross also drifted narrowly wide with only the faintest of touches needed to guide it over the line while at the other end George was keeping his team in the game with several good saves.
There was nothing George could do, however, when Newmarket broke away to score a third which killed off any chance of a Chishill fight-back.
The visitors kept going and finally grabbed a deserved consolation when Hodge created space 25 yards out before setting up Radford to blast the ball into the top corner with 10 minutes left.
Great Chishill: George, R Drury, Bennett, E Drury, Bramwell, Tidey, Jackson, J Drury, Hodge, Wright, Radford.