Cycling: Quiggin takes Isle of Man third
- Credit: Archant
CC Ashwell’s Samuel Quiggin produced three stunning rides to finish third at Isle of Man Cycling Festival.
Racing in the U8 category, Quiggin finished the 1.3km course in 2mins 31secs and was just 27 second off the leader in the 102km ride, which gave him fourth place.
In the final race of the event, and paired with the U10 competitors, he fought from the back of the pack to fourth place, which took him up to third in the overall standings.
Quiggin was not the only Ashwell rider in the Isle of Man. Fresh from his strong performance at the CiCLE Classic, Cameron Woolsey took 43rd overall in the junior competition.
CCA’s Will Smith took part in Southend Wheelers’ Andrews Trophy at the weekend, a flat 80 mile course. After a few attempts at getting away, Smith decided to stay near the front of the main peloton and wait for the sprint towards the end.
You may also want to watch:
With a final climb to the finish, Smith made his attack early and was rewarded by staying away from the main group and took 18th position.
On roads closer to home, the first Ashwell club 10 mile time trial of the season took place on Wednesday evening. Nigel Hale from Herts Wheelers took the fastest time in 23mins 1sec, 18 secs ahead of CCA’s Smith in second.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club
Results - N Hale 23:01; W Smith 23:19; J Stuart 23:32; S Shaw 26:02; J Ross 26:10; M Martin 26:17; M Constable 27.26; M Scales 29:00; R Bumstead 29:59; E Koppe 30:08; M Lawless 30:21; D Wells 30:54; M Pullen 30:55; J Dow 32:40; J Andrews 33:46; S Watts 34:17.