Cycle Club Ashwell trio take on the Tour of Malta
- Credit: Archant
Riders from Cycle Club Ashwell made their way overseas to take part in the Tour of Malta.
Martin Lawless, Dave Wells and Jenny Andrews were competing in CCA blue for the four-day amateur stage race.
Stage 1 was a flat 9.5 mile time trial and Martin claimed the 12th fastest time, Dave was 22nd and Jenny, in the women’s category, took 17th.
Stage 2 was a tough eight passes of a gruelling climb, taking the riders from sea level to 50 meters above.
Martin stayed with the leaders to the bunch sprint taking 14th with Dave in 28th. In the women’s event, Jenny became detached from the main group early on and braved a solo effort to complete all eight laps.
You may also want to watch:
Stage 3 meant a ferry over to the island of Gozo where Martin was 15th, Dave 26th and Jenny 19th.
On the final day, Martin finished 17th for 13th overall, Dave came 26th and 25th overall while Jenny finished in 19th place.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 4 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 5 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 6 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs