Cycle Club Ashwell riders tackle Welwyn Petit Tour
- Credit: Archant
As the professional cyclists raced around Paris at the weekend, Cycle Club Ashwell youth were in action at the Welwyn Petit Tour, the final round of the Tour of Hertfordshire series.
In extremely wet conditions, crashes came thick and fast. Felix Field crashed out of his race after hurting his leg and shoulder, followed by Travis Pell who also retired after his second crash.
Mark Lightfoot had a great race though, fighting off the rain to take the third step of the podium in his category, while Noah Field claimed fifth place. Harley Pell also rode well to make the podium in the U16 girls’ race.
An unlucky Nathan Hardy crashed but bravely rejoined to finish in a well deserved fifth position.
At round seven of the N&DCA TT series, a 25 mile time trial laid ahead of the six CCA riders taking part.
You may also want to watch:
Jason Stuart was the highest placed Ashwell rider taking 10th position with a time of 58 minutes 28 seconds.
James McKenzie was first in the Y category with a time of one hour 34 seconds, just ahead of Jackie Field who took top honours as first woman and first in the X category.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
Richard Glover took first place in the Z category and Noah Field was the second fastest junior on the day.
Improving weather and some good mid-season form meant plenty of personal bests were made at the CCA 10 Mile TT. Mark Constable took the fastest time of the evening with 23:12.
Full results - M Constable 23:12; S Doyle 24:04; S Miles 25:06; J Prodger 25:35; J Thorpe 26:28; T Bedford 26:31; M Lawless 26:38; C Braybrook 26:50; R Bumstead 27:55; A Lightfoot 28:06; E Koppe 28:14; J Andrews 29:14; J Dow 29:16; S Adkins 29:54; M Pullen 29:55; S Lewis 30:44; S Watts 31:11.