Cycle Club Ashwell host Letchworth Grand Prix
- Credit: Archant
Cycle Club Ashwell played host to the inaugural Letchworth Grand Prix last weekend.
There were a number of closed road races ranging from the British cycling-supported ‘Go-Ride’ series for youth and novices to category two races for the fastest amateur riders.
As part of the newly-formed Hertfordshire Tour Series, the Letchworth event makes up the second round of the four-round series taking place this summer.
Around 150 riders from around the region signed up to compete on the showpiece circuit at Broadway Gardens.
In the U12 race, CCA’s Freddie Cooke, Archie Foulkes and Nathan Hardy lined up for the start of what turned out to be a fast race.
A breakaway group formed almost immediately with a chasing group containing Hardy and Cooke close behind.
With the breakaway riders setting a terrific pace, the main group came together for a sprint to the line. Hardy and Cooke pushed hard and took 10th and 11th places respectively. Foulkes followed just behind in another bunch.
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
After a two-week break, the CCA 10 mile Time Trial returned
Ex-CCA rider Cameron Woolsey posted the fastest time of 21 minutes 27 seconds, a staggering three and a half minutes ahead of Ashwell’s Andy Skeen.
Full Results - Cameron Woolsey, 21:27; Andy Skeen, 24:57; Steve Miles, 25:06; Carmelo Luggeri, 25:40; Dave Wells, 26:08; Matt Scales, 26:15; Jon Chapman, 26:53; John Thorpe, 27:48; Gareth Lewis, 28:15; Emma Koppe, 28:21; Kevin Stigwood, 28:32; James Dow, 28:52; Simon Morris, 29:01; Robert Bumstead, 29:16; Jenny Andrews, 29:16; Adam Roe, 30:11; Susan Watts, 31:31.