Cycle Club Ashwell host Letchworth Grand Prix
- Credit: Archant
Cycle Club Ashwell played host to the inaugural Letchworth Grand Prix last weekend.
There were a number of closed road races ranging from the British cycling-supported ‘Go-Ride’ series for youth and novices to category two races for the fastest amateur riders.
As part of the newly-formed Hertfordshire Tour Series, the Letchworth event makes up the second round of the four-round series taking place this summer.
Around 150 riders from around the region signed up to compete on the showpiece circuit at Broadway Gardens.
In the U12 race, CCA’s Freddie Cooke, Archie Foulkes and Nathan Hardy lined up for the start of what turned out to be a fast race.
A breakaway group formed almost immediately with a chasing group containing Hardy and Cooke close behind.
With the breakaway riders setting a terrific pace, the main group came together for a sprint to the line. Hardy and Cooke pushed hard and took 10th and 11th places respectively. Foulkes followed just behind in another bunch.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 7 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
After a two-week break, the CCA 10 mile Time Trial returned
Ex-CCA rider Cameron Woolsey posted the fastest time of 21 minutes 27 seconds, a staggering three and a half minutes ahead of Ashwell’s Andy Skeen.
Full Results - Cameron Woolsey, 21:27; Andy Skeen, 24:57; Steve Miles, 25:06; Carmelo Luggeri, 25:40; Dave Wells, 26:08; Matt Scales, 26:15; Jon Chapman, 26:53; John Thorpe, 27:48; Gareth Lewis, 28:15; Emma Koppe, 28:21; Kevin Stigwood, 28:32; James Dow, 28:52; Simon Morris, 29:01; Robert Bumstead, 29:16; Jenny Andrews, 29:16; Adam Roe, 30:11; Susan Watts, 31:31.