Cycle Club Ashwell host Letchworth Grand Prix
- Credit: Archant
Cycle Club Ashwell played host to the inaugural Letchworth Grand Prix last weekend.
There were a number of closed road races ranging from the British cycling-supported ‘Go-Ride’ series for youth and novices to category two races for the fastest amateur riders.
As part of the newly-formed Hertfordshire Tour Series, the Letchworth event makes up the second round of the four-round series taking place this summer.
Around 150 riders from around the region signed up to compete on the showpiece circuit at Broadway Gardens.
In the U12 race, CCA’s Freddie Cooke, Archie Foulkes and Nathan Hardy lined up for the start of what turned out to be a fast race.
You may also want to watch:
A breakaway group formed almost immediately with a chasing group containing Hardy and Cooke close behind.
With the breakaway riders setting a terrific pace, the main group came together for a sprint to the line. Hardy and Cooke pushed hard and took 10th and 11th places respectively. Foulkes followed just behind in another bunch.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
After a two-week break, the CCA 10 mile Time Trial returned
Ex-CCA rider Cameron Woolsey posted the fastest time of 21 minutes 27 seconds, a staggering three and a half minutes ahead of Ashwell’s Andy Skeen.
Full Results - Cameron Woolsey, 21:27; Andy Skeen, 24:57; Steve Miles, 25:06; Carmelo Luggeri, 25:40; Dave Wells, 26:08; Matt Scales, 26:15; Jon Chapman, 26:53; John Thorpe, 27:48; Gareth Lewis, 28:15; Emma Koppe, 28:21; Kevin Stigwood, 28:32; James Dow, 28:52; Simon Morris, 29:01; Robert Bumstead, 29:16; Jenny Andrews, 29:16; Adam Roe, 30:11; Susan Watts, 31:31.