Cycle Club Ashwell duo take on British Time Trial Champion Alex Dowsett at Cambridgeshire event
- Credit: Archant
Cycle Club Ashwell pair Justin Layne and Michael Martin took on World Tour professional and British TT champion Alex Dowsett at the ECCA 10 mile event on the E2/10 course held on the A11 near Babraham, Cambridgeshire.
Unsurprisingly Dowsett won the event in 17 minutes 46 seconds but Layne put in an impressive showing to take third place in 19:49.
Martin was equal 14th with a time of 21:32.
The first round of the RTTC Classic Time Trial Series was held in Finchingfield, Essex and three CCA testers were up for the rolling 25.6 mile course.
Dowsett was clearly still free from World Tour duty and raced for the second day in succession on local roads, winning the event with a staggering time of 51 minutes 54 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Ashwell’s Jacke Field was seventh overall woman and first in the veteran category with a time of 1:05:56.
Mark Constable finished with a time of 1:08:03, taking 12th position, and Richard Glover finished 20th with 1:16:57.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 8 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Round two was held near Buxton, Derbyshire.
CCA’s James McKenzie and Jackie Field made the trip over and were well rewarded for their efforts.
Field placed first veteran woman and McKenzie claimed 12th fastest on target time.
CCA were in action in both youth and senior road races at Lee Valley Velo Park.
In the U12s race, Nathan Hardy earned a respectable fourth place with Mark Lightfoot just behind in eighth. Joe Hadsley finished in the bunch.
In the U14s event, Adam Lightfoot had a great ride to take third and in the U16s race, Noah Field slipped back from the breakaway group to roll in with the main bunch.
In the seniors’ race, Dave Mitchinson battled through rain showers to cross the line in 10th position.