Cup kings march on to last 16

Royston Town Colts U-10 4 Fairlands Youth 1 COLTS progressed with ease into the last 16 of the county cup with a comprehensive victory of Fairlands Youth. All four goals came from corners, which was surprising given the size of the Fairlands keepe

Royston Town Colts U-10 4 Fairlands Youth 1

COLTS progressed with ease into the last 16 of the county cup with a comprehensive victory of Fairlands Youth.

All four goals came from corners, which was surprising given the size of the Fairlands keeper.

However, the first goal came quickly after Jordan Campbell's in swinging corner was tipped onto the bar by the keeper, the re-bound fell kindly to Jake Long at the far post to half volley the ball into an open goal.

The second was started and finished by Campbell, this time his corner was cleared to the edge of the box and picked up by Richard Jonas who fed the ball out wide again to Campbell on the corner of the box. His cross-shot curled its way around to the far post, between a defenders legs and nestled in the back of the net.

Pleased with their work so far, Colts then fell asleep and immediately from the re-start Fairlands replied virtually walking through the centre of the defence without a tackle to score a well taken goal.

Most Read

However, a third corner from Campbell driven in low and hard out of the reach of the keeper was met superbly by Jonas in the box with a half volley giving the keeper no chance.

The second half brought much of the same with Colts playing some excellent passing football which even received applause from some of the opposition parents.

Matthew Stout was switched from midfield to right back and Reece King came on to give Colts further attacking options.

This was rewarded with the final goal after the fourth corner when the ball fell to Stout whose shot bounced off the keeper, King was on hand to slam home the ball into the back of the net.

Royston Town Colts U-12 1 Bishop's Stortford Town 3

ROYSTON'S fine run in the Crow League Cup finally came to an end against last season's runners-up Bishop's Stortford Town.

With the wind behind them and with the slope in their favour Colts started well, and King found himself in the box but the ball seemed to get trapped under his feet, the resulting shot was collected confidently by the Stortford keeper.

Against the run of play Storford broke clear at pace, only to be chased down by speedster Martyn Green, who intercepted and cleared to safety.

Willis-Wright was first to the resulting throw in. He charged towards the centre of the field before sending the ball wide left. The resulting cross from Leighton proved to be just too far in front of King.

From the goal kick Lewis Hunter rose magnificently over his opposite number to win the ball for colts, the header was met by Leighton whose first touch put the ball in the box for King to chase.

He outpaced the defence and running flat out shot the ball back across the keeper and into the net to put colts ahead.

Royston continued to dominate as Sartini won the ball in midfield, fed Brennan who fed Heslam for him to turn and shoot only for the ball to drift wide.

King also managed another shot on goal before the tide began to change and Stortford found their way into the match.

Martyn Green and Jack Anderson were immediately into the action clearing away dangerous attacks and keeper Long provided a safe pair of hands at the back.

Indeed it was from a Green clearance that a Stortford throw was headed into the Town box.

Brennan chased back to clear and when his clearance failed to connect Colts seemed stationary as Stortford pounced on the spilled ball and found the net to level the scores.

The second half was initially a far more even affair and Colts had to work hard to keep Stortford from scoring.

Though as the game progressed Colts started to loose shape and although they all battled hard, the ball when won was simply booted up-field rather than passed or sent wide.

With 10 minutes to go Garbut and Felleta came on to provide some fresh legs. Green was again in form as, single handed, he thwarted another Stortford break.

It was from this clearance that Stortford worked the ball through the middle into the box.

Time stood still for Colts as Stortford reacted fastest and found the net and with it the lead.

In the last five minutes Town raised their game and strong running from Brennan and Garbut came close but could not be converted.

As time slipped away Stortford again charged through the centre of the park seemingly unopposed and fired home past a stranded Long to seal the victory.

Letchworth GCE White U-12 0 Royston Town Colts A 1

COLTS extended their unbeaten run to 10 games with a hard-earned victory over Letchworth Whites to move them up to fourth position in the table.

Royston began brightly despite the heavy conditions, Jordan Hall, Connor Saggers and Lucas Sekobawane all forcing saves from Eagles keeper.

At the other end 'keeper, Harry Bracewell, making his Colts debut was in top form helping Colts to only their second clean sheet of the season.

The home side battled well, belying their lowly league position to frustrate Colts' efforts on goal but struggling themselves to break down Colts solid defence.

In the end, it took a moment of brilliance from Jack Bailey to break the deadlock, firing sweetly over Eagles' keeper from the edge of the box to give Colts the lead at the interval.

In the second period, Middlemass replaced the injured Hall, but Colts failed to add to their first half tally, hanging on to take the points.

Royston Town Colts U-15 6 Bedwell Rangers 3

ROYSTON'S impressive onward march in the League Cup continued more quickly than expected on Sunday, thanks to a rearranged fixture.

Colts started brightly enough but first blood went to the visitors when, against the run of play, a corner ball bounced off a defender and into the net.

But the home side responded well. Connor Barnard almost opened their account with a powerful header that rebounded off the upright and moments later he again headed the ball goalwards, only for the defence to scramble it off the line.

Royston maintained the pressure and their reward soon followed when a long throw into the area fell to Dominic Oxenford, who deftly flicked the ball past the keeper into the top of the net.

What followed was Colts' best spell of the match. A superb ball whipped in by Harry Noades found Barnard, who blasted it home to give Royston the lead. Defender Ryan Ingrey then added a third in characteristic fashion, jinking past two defenders before loosing off a powerful shot.

A corner found Ricky Williams who turned neatly to fire home Royston's fourth and moments later Adam Jinkerson capped a blistering run down the left with a high looping cross from the byline. For a moment it looked far too high but Oxenford, backtracking, managed to meet it with a powerful header into the top right hand corner.

With a four goal cushion at the break Royston perhaps felt the job was done and their defence certainly did not look ready for what happened next. Instead of letting their heads drop, Bedwell moved their best player from defence to attack and, to their great credit, took the fight right back to the hosts.

A dozing back line was exposed three times as Bedwell sliced through Colts' defence far too easily, enabling the visitors to claim their second and third goals and to come within an ace of a fourth, but for the intervention of the crossbar.

But just as doubts looked to be setting in, Colts had a moment of good fortune that turned things back decisively in their favour. Oxenford ran the ball into the Bedwell area and was brought down, prompting the referee to award a penalty despite the visitors' protestations that the ball had gone when the incident occurred. Barnard's conversion from the spot was textbook, and Royston were through to the next round.