Cup King Ellis hits hat-trick in romp

Royston Town Colts U-12 12 FC Comets 1 ROYSTON S class showed throughout this league cup encounter against lower division Comets. Within seconds of the start Kieran Willis-Wright tore down the right wing, cut inside and rifled home from long ran

Royston Town Colts U-12 12 FC Comets 1

ROYSTON'S class showed throughout this league cup encounter against lower division Comets.

Within seconds of the start Kieran Willis-Wright tore down the right wing, cut inside and rifled home from long range.

Excellent battling in the centre by Adam Sartini so nearly resulted in Town's second goal, which came moments later when Ellis King broke though the Comets defence and found the net.

Matt Brennan was next on the score sheet when he fired home from the edge of the box.

Riding high and full of confidence Town pushed forward once again, only this time Comets stole the ball and broke through to claw one back.

Most Read

To their dismay the next score was an unlucky own goal from a Town corner.

A few minutes of competitive football followed after which the goals continued. Jacob Leighton slotted home a King corner from the back post, followed by Will Heslam heading home an excellent cross by man-of-the match Willis-Wright to leave the half time score at 7-1.

Louis Townsend got the second half underway climbing over the Comets defence and scoring with a fine header that gave the Comets keeper little chance.

A period of broken play followed, Victor Falleta collected the ball inside the penalty box and hit the back of the net.

King then performed another miracle shot to find the net from wide on the right, claiming his second hat-trick in as many matches.

In the last few minutes Matt Brennan picked up the ball in the midfield and weaved his way through the Comets defence and hammered home to claim his second.

Moments later it was again Brennan who found Leighton in space on the right flank to finish well and claim his second, completing the day's scoring.

Royston Town Colts U-8 A 3 Ashwell A 0

ROYSTON continued their fine flowing football which at times was at the highest quality.

Within the first five minutes Colts had attack after attack with no end product.

It seemed it was going to be all level at half-time, but finally Royston's pressure paid off after a attack down the right wing the ball found itself to Ben Seabrook on edge of the area and a first time shot nestled in the corner.

Straight from kick off, Charlie Dobson, who controlled everything at the back found Seabrook who was fouled on the half-way line. Quick thinking by Seabrook played a 10 yard pass to Kye Jones whose first time shot was to hot to handle.

Royston continued into the second half with more great football, and they wrapped up the win after a great passing move from Jack Logan and George Pemberton sent Connor Madden through to make it 3-0.

Royston Town Colts U-8 B 3 Ashwell B 0

THIS was another great powerful performance with some of the best football played this year.

Ellis Wilkingson and Tom Harrington controlled everything that was thrown at them.

Despite having all the play they could not get the end result. Sam Hubbard and Gareth Byles having great chances only to see the Ashwell keeper saving well to finish the first half goalless.

Straight from the start of the second half Royston got the break through thanks to William Tyrrell after good work from Simon Fell and Mason Barnes.

Two minutes later Tyrrell got his second of the game after a good solo run and a powerful shot into the corner.

With a minute remaining the ever hard working Max Logan got his end result after finishing off a great passing move through Gareth Byles.

Royston Town Colts U-8 C 3 Ashwell C 0

COLTS newly formed C team completed a hat-trick of 3-0 wins against Ashwell.

After their previous weeks win of three nil against Baldock they continued with some strong tackling and great passing by Ryan Smith seemed to set Royston on their way.

All the goals came in the second half came thanks too James May with two and David Mansfield getting his first goal for the club.

Royston Town Colts U-11 2 Bishop's Stortford CFC Blues 0

THOMAS Robson added two more stylish goals to his already impressive season tally to lead Colts to their third win in a row.

The first half was close and tense with neither side dominant. Real chances were few and far between, with Chris Barrat and George Coulston exceptional in defence for the Colts and the back lines at both ends seemed impenetrable.

The only real chance of the first half fell to the visitors, but a superb reaction save and brave follow-up gather by keeper Will Hart maintained the score into the break.

The second half continued in the same way, and it took a typical Robson break into the left of the box followed by a delightful strike over the keeper's reach to break the deadlock.

Blues responded well with some good midfield link-up play but when Robson connected with a superb cross in from the right by Aaron Hanley to make it 2-0 there was a visible easing of tension in the Colts' ranks.

James Moore almost made it three after a probing run but put his shot just wide, and Colts ably resisted the Blues pressure all the way to the whistle.

Bedwell Rangers Real U-10 1 Royston Town Colts A 2

COLTS moved within a point of Bedwell after winning this top of the table clash.

The game started brightly for Colts with Jake Long coming close and hitting the bar. It was played at a good tempo by both teams, with some good football all round.

Royston continued to press and had the best of the chances in the first half and it seemed only a matter of time before one was converted.

When the goal did come it was a fantastic passing move between Long and Matthew Stout that split open the Bedwell defence and allowed Long to square the ball to Jordan Campbell, who slotted home with a well-placed shot.

Play continued very evenly in the second half with end to end action, this brought a couple of corners for Bedwell which brought some confusion to the Colts defence as four Bedwell players congregated on the four corner of the Colts box ready to run in towards the goal as the corner was taken.

The Colts players were undecided as to whether they should mark the players or the space they were going to run into.

As a consequence Bedwell scored the equaliser from a well taken header without any of the Colts players reacting to the on rushing Bedwell players.

A few minutes later Colts also had a corner and similar confusion in the Bedwell box allowed Colts to take the lead again after the ball came of the back of the keeper legs to role into an open net for an own goal.

Bedwell Rangers Barca U-10 0 Royston Town Colts B 2

THIS was another entertaining game with Colts in sixth place facing the top of the table team with.

Some excellent football was played at both ends but the first half ended goalless with only half chances for either team.

The second half came to life for Colts when Daniel Goodfellow scored with a great strike into the top right corner of the goal after Jack Freeman slotted the ball through to him after a great run down the right.

This gave Colts a great confidence boost and they started pushing further up the pitch and applying more pressure to Bedwell.

Colts finally wrapped up the game when the Bedwell keeper rolled the ball out to a defender on the edge of the box, George Wheelerbailey was there as a quick as a flash to put the defender under pressure, win the ball and slot it to the keeper's right to score.

Royston Town Colts U-12 A 2 Letchworth GCE White 1

ROYSTON'S recent rich vein of form continued as they outplayed Letchworth Whites to secure all three points and stretch their unbeaten run to four games.

The home side started well, Max McLean scoring his third of the season with an unstoppable free kick from outside the box after Whites had handled the ball.

Royston were in commanding form, Matt Cooney and Harry Stafford clearing everything that came their way at the back and captain Jake Benstead leading by example with some terrific surging runs from midfield.

However, midway through the half, Whites struck back with a surprise break, outsprinting Colts' defence to equalise against the run of play.

Colts responded in the best way possible, Benstead setting up Jack Bailey who netted with a superb first time effort only to have it ruled offside in a dubious decision.

Undeterred, Colts pressed forward, McLean rattling the crossbar again from another long-range free-kick and then forcing a terrific save from the keeper.

The Letchworth keeper was in action again soon after, this time saving bravely at the feet of Lucas Sekobawane after a piledriver from Jordan Hall.

Whites came back at Colts after the break, Ashley Chapman having to save twice to keep Colts' advantage.

The hosts reshuffled, John Middlemass and Matt Evans replacing McLean and Hunter, Evans forcing another good save from Whites' 'keeper after good work from Sekobawane.

Sam Cooper then replaced Cooney, taking a quick throw on the right. Middlemass crossed and Sekobawane was on hand to bundle the ball home to seal a well-deserved victory for Colts with his eighth of the season.