Cup joy for goal-happy Royston
Great Berry Ladies 5 Royston Town Ladies 7 ROYSTON Town Ladies won a twelve-goal thriller against Great Berry on Saturday to progress to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Women s Cup. The Crows went ahead through a Leanne Buchannan header after 10 mi
Great Berry Ladies 5
Royston Town Ladies 7
ROYSTON Town Ladies won a twelve-goal thriller against Great Berry on Saturday to progress to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Women's Cup.
The Crows went ahead through a Leanne Buchannan header after 10 minutes, but some sloppy defending allowed the home side to level within minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Stacy Hassan's header restored Royston's lead and Emma Chaffey's shot into the top corner gave the visitors a two-goal cushion.
Wendy Webster's long-range effort made it four and Hassan's left foot volley just before the break gave the Crows a commanding 5-1 half-time lead.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
But the second-half was a completely different affair, which saw Great Berry score three quick-fire goals in the first ten minutes of the half to reduce their deficit to a single goal.
Indeed, it took a couple of key saves from Royston keeper Clare Draper to preserve the visitors' lead as Great Berry pushed for an equaliser.
But for all the home side's pressure it was the Crows who scored next, through Chaffey's well-struck free-kick.
Buchannan's second of the game soon followed to give the Crows a 7-4 lead, before Great Berry scored a fifth to set up a grandstand finish.
But Royston held on for victory to earn a cheque for £75 from the FA, and a trip to Hawkwell Athletic Ladies on Sunday, September 28.