Cup joy for goal-happy Royston
Great Berry Ladies 5 Royston Town Ladies 7 ROYSTON Town Ladies won a twelve-goal thriller against Great Berry on Saturday to progress to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Women s Cup. The Crows went ahead through a Leanne Buchannan header after 10 mi
Great Berry Ladies 5
Royston Town Ladies 7
ROYSTON Town Ladies won a twelve-goal thriller against Great Berry on Saturday to progress to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Women's Cup.
The Crows went ahead through a Leanne Buchannan header after 10 minutes, but some sloppy defending allowed the home side to level within minutes.
Stacy Hassan's header restored Royston's lead and Emma Chaffey's shot into the top corner gave the visitors a two-goal cushion.
Wendy Webster's long-range effort made it four and Hassan's left foot volley just before the break gave the Crows a commanding 5-1 half-time lead.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 7 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 8 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
But the second-half was a completely different affair, which saw Great Berry score three quick-fire goals in the first ten minutes of the half to reduce their deficit to a single goal.
Indeed, it took a couple of key saves from Royston keeper Clare Draper to preserve the visitors' lead as Great Berry pushed for an equaliser.
But for all the home side's pressure it was the Crows who scored next, through Chaffey's well-struck free-kick.
Buchannan's second of the game soon followed to give the Crows a 7-4 lead, before Great Berry scored a fifth to set up a grandstand finish.
But Royston held on for victory to earn a cheque for £75 from the FA, and a trip to Hawkwell Athletic Ladies on Sunday, September 28.