Cup joy for goal-happy Royston
Great Berry Ladies 5 Royston Town Ladies 7 ROYSTON Town Ladies won a twelve-goal thriller against Great Berry on Saturday to progress to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Women s Cup. The Crows went ahead through a Leanne Buchannan header after 10 mi
Great Berry Ladies 5
Royston Town Ladies 7
ROYSTON Town Ladies won a twelve-goal thriller against Great Berry on Saturday to progress to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Women's Cup.
The Crows went ahead through a Leanne Buchannan header after 10 minutes, but some sloppy defending allowed the home side to level within minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Stacy Hassan's header restored Royston's lead and Emma Chaffey's shot into the top corner gave the visitors a two-goal cushion.
Wendy Webster's long-range effort made it four and Hassan's left foot volley just before the break gave the Crows a commanding 5-1 half-time lead.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
But the second-half was a completely different affair, which saw Great Berry score three quick-fire goals in the first ten minutes of the half to reduce their deficit to a single goal.
Indeed, it took a couple of key saves from Royston keeper Clare Draper to preserve the visitors' lead as Great Berry pushed for an equaliser.
But for all the home side's pressure it was the Crows who scored next, through Chaffey's well-struck free-kick.
Buchannan's second of the game soon followed to give the Crows a 7-4 lead, before Great Berry scored a fifth to set up a grandstand finish.
But Royston held on for victory to earn a cheque for £75 from the FA, and a trip to Hawkwell Athletic Ladies on Sunday, September 28.