Cup blow for Fowlmere as Coates slam five
Coates Athletic 5 Fowlmere 2 Fowlmere s Junior Invitation Cup run came to an end with Steve Walker s side coming unstuck against a strong Coates Athletic team. Despite taking the lead after 15 minutes, when Neil Robinson turned home Darren Dyer
Coates Athletic 5 Fowlmere 2
Fowlmere's Junior Invitation Cup run came to an end with Steve Walker's side coming unstuck against a strong Coates Athletic team.
Despite taking the lead after 15 minutes, when Neil Robinson turned home Darren Dyer's cross from the right, Fowlmere trailed 3-1 at half-time.
Coates Athletic increased their lead on the hour mark, before Steve Cooke restored some hope with an intelligent lob.
You may also want to watch:
However, another mix-up at the back allowed the home side in for number five after 75 minutes.
Manager Steve Walker said: "Errors on our part cost us greatly. Having said that, Coates Athletic were a very good side and certainly deserved to go through.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
"They still had to take their chances, and showed why they have scored so many goals this season.
"I can't be too hard on the players, because the reality was that we came up against a side that was just too strong. However, I do feel there were a few areas in which we could have performed better."
On Saturday, Fowlmere return to league action with a trip to Steeple Bumpstead, who sit one place and point behind Fowlmere in the BIS Division 1A table.
Walker said: "We must do better on Saturday and I'm hoping for a good display.
"We need to get back to winning ways and move up the table again. It's an important game for us and I'm sure Steeple Bumpstead will want a win too."
Fowlmere: Fulk; Kenzie, Sewell, King, Kew; Reynolds, Robinson, Darcey, Cripps; Cooke, Dyer. (Subs): Fidgett, Barker, Walker.