Cup blow for Fowlmere as Coates slam five
Coates Athletic 5 Fowlmere 2 Fowlmere s Junior Invitation Cup run came to an end with Steve Walker s side coming unstuck against a strong Coates Athletic team. Despite taking the lead after 15 minutes, when Neil Robinson turned home Darren Dyer
Coates Athletic 5 Fowlmere 2
Fowlmere's Junior Invitation Cup run came to an end with Steve Walker's side coming unstuck against a strong Coates Athletic team.
Despite taking the lead after 15 minutes, when Neil Robinson turned home Darren Dyer's cross from the right, Fowlmere trailed 3-1 at half-time.
Coates Athletic increased their lead on the hour mark, before Steve Cooke restored some hope with an intelligent lob.
However, another mix-up at the back allowed the home side in for number five after 75 minutes.
Manager Steve Walker said: "Errors on our part cost us greatly. Having said that, Coates Athletic were a very good side and certainly deserved to go through.
- 1 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 2 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 3 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 8 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 9 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 10 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
"They still had to take their chances, and showed why they have scored so many goals this season.
"I can't be too hard on the players, because the reality was that we came up against a side that was just too strong. However, I do feel there were a few areas in which we could have performed better."
On Saturday, Fowlmere return to league action with a trip to Steeple Bumpstead, who sit one place and point behind Fowlmere in the BIS Division 1A table.
Walker said: "We must do better on Saturday and I'm hoping for a good display.
"We need to get back to winning ways and move up the table again. It's an important game for us and I'm sure Steeple Bumpstead will want a win too."
Fowlmere: Fulk; Kenzie, Sewell, King, Kew; Reynolds, Robinson, Darcey, Cripps; Cooke, Dyer. (Subs): Fidgett, Barker, Walker.