Crows too strong for Old Isleworthians

PUBLISHED: 10:39 21 November 2011

Royston Rugby Club

Royston Rugby Club


Royston RFC 24 Old Isleworthians 12

Herts/Middlesex 2

ROYSTON RFC moved up to fifth in the table with a win against lowly Old Isleworthians on Saturday on The Heath.

Captain Damien Fouracres decided to play down the slope in the first half to try and build a good lead. The match got off to a lively start and passions soon spilled over as Jason Shackleton and OI’s scrum-half were both sent to the sin-bin. However the Royston man was involved in his team’s first try after resuming the action when he released Downes who touched down under the posts before Michael Schurch converted.

Schackleton then scored a try himself after good work fro Fouracres and Alex Hiom in a ruck, with Schurch converting again. Royston’s backs were beginning to enjoy a decent share of possession and Schurch exploited this to great effect when he beat the whole isleworthians’ back-line with a mazy run to score and convert his own try.

With victory and a potential bonus point looking likely, Royston took their foot off the gas and the visitors pulled a try back just before half time to make the score 21-7 at the break.

The second half started with OIs in the ascendency and they quickly added another score after a series of Royston infringements to bring themselves within nine points of Royston. Royston dug deep but matters were not helped when Jamie Green was sin-binned by the referee for a rucking offence.

The hosts brought on Louis Dummett and Tristan Tegg to steady the ship and it soon paid dividends as they began to enjoy more possession and territory. Schurch added a penalty late on to put the game out of OI’s reach and secure the win.

Royston IIs were also in action at the weekend and they ran out convincing 24-0 winners against Shelford.

Royston’s experienced side started well and took control of the match with some strong running from skipper David Ayliffe and Dan fox. The latter made the break and good support from Colin Letch enabled Royston to form a maul metres form the Shelford line. Bill Payne took control and dived over for the opening score. Letch converted.

Royston continued the pressure and a mazy run from Dave Marvell found Letch in space who then popped the ball out to Jason Downes who galloped to score in the corner. The kick was missed and Royston led 12-0 at half time.

After the break Royston took the game to Shelford and good play from new-boys Luke and Mark King gave a great platform for Royston to go forward. The pressure told and after a Shelford mistake Steve Crook pounced to score Royston’s third try. Letch converted.

Paul Dacey controlled the back-line and after some good handling in the backs the full-back Cameron Murdoch received the ball in his own half, put on the after burners to run around the Shelford defence to score an unconverted try to finish the match.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow