Crows Swoop For New Striker
By Tom Brown ROYSTON Town have announced the signing of talented striker Ashley Townsend. Townsend, from Ryman League side Arlesey Town, follows fellow striker Craig Hammond to the club as The Crows second paid transfer in six weeks. The deal was fina
By Tom Brown
ROYSTON Town have announced the signing of talented striker Ashley Townsend.
Townsend, from Ryman League side Arlesey Town, follows fellow striker Craig Hammond to the club as The Crows' second paid transfer in six weeks.
The deal was financed by Royston's ambitious chairman, Rob Stewart, and has been described as a "modest nominal fee".
Stewart said: "This is another top signing for Royston and we're all delighted to have a player of Ashley's ability on board. Like Craig Hammond, he's a player that will help take us forward."
The 18-year-old was targeted by manager Paul Attfield, who had Townsend under his wing at Buntingford Town.
- 1 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 4 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
Attfield said: "Ashley was part of a successful Buntingford youth setup and he played a number of games for the first team before a productive move to Arlesey in October 2006.
"He's got an eye for goal in and around the box, he's strong on the ball, has a lovely touch, and is generally an all-round natural striker."
For more details see tomorrow's (Thursday) Royston Crow.