Crows start New Year with a bang

Matt Standen hits hat-trick in 7-0 thrashing of Biggleswade

Royston Town 7

Biggleswade United 0

SSMFL Premier Division

ROYSTON TOWN saw in the New Year with a comprehensive thrashing of Biggleswade United at Garden Walk on Monday afternoon.

Manager Paul Attfield had the players in for training on New Year’s Day in preparation for the game and the players delivered a devastating performance.

Jason Beck returned to the side following a one-game ban, with Luke Robins dropping to the bench for the only change from the win over Berkhamsted. The pitch was heavy but the pace in which Royston moved the ball around combined with long periods of two-touch football was too much for the United team and, but for the woodwork and excellent keeping, the margin of victory could have been far greater.

Most Read

The Crows tore into the game and were ahead within the opening five minutes when Matt Standen controlled a chipped ball from Kaan Fehmi behind the United defence and shot firmly into the corner from 14 yards.

United had plenty of the ball in the first half but failed to test Will Norris and struggled to create any clear chances. Their best two chances both came from free-kicks in good positions that were wastefully lofted over the crossbar.

Royston, however, always looked threatening and doubled their lead midway through the half when Ross Collins and Matt Standen played a swift one-two on the edge of the box with the Crows captain volleying home spectacularly from 18 yards.

The United side were then indebted to their goalkeeper Scott Waters who pulled off a string of fine saves before the interval – firstly tipping over a firm Kaan Fehmi effort and then a header from Matt Standen.

The second half was very one-sided, with the Crows in complete control and maintaining a high level of effective possession football. Kaan Fehmi had the best two opening chances reacting on two mistakes to send long distance lobs towards goal with one striking the face off the crossbar and the other dropping just the wrong side of the upright.

A third goal looked imminent and so it was when a good move down the left opened up the visitors and Carl Edwards had time on the edge of the box to curl a left footed shot into the bottom corner.

By the midway point of the half Royston had added a fourth when Collins teed up Matt Standen for his second and on 75 minutes Lewis Endacott got on the scoresheet with a header from Robins’ corner.

The sixth came from another Robins cross, this time in open play, and the quality of the delivery from the left gave Matt Standen a simple headed finish from eight yards to cement a well-deserved hat-trick and Man of the Match award.

Robins continued to threaten down the left and was unlucky to hit the outside of the post from a narrow angle before completing the scoring late on with a fierce left footer that flew into the corner of the net from 25 yards.

The Crows will face Leverstock Green at Garden Walk on Saturday at 3pm.

Royston Town: Norris, Clemo, Bradshaw, Endacott, Beck, Collins, Edwards, (Lawrence), Malins (Robins), Matt Standen, Lockett, Fehmi (Redford).