Crows rack up 100 points on final day of the season
- Credit: Archant
Champions Royston Town passed a century of points in their last game of the season as they claimed a 2-0 home victory over Hanwell Town.
Steve Castle, with one eye on the Champions Cup match against Hereford this coming Saturday, demonstrated his squad’s depth by naming a strong starting XI and an impressive looking bench with Kaan Fehmi and Ryan Towner being rested completely.
The game made a stuttering start and not helped when on 15 minutes Ryan Ingrey took an elbow just above the eye that needed hospital treatment and he was replaced by winger Rod Orlando-Young.
The first half was slow paced at times and it took a yellow card earning foul on 38 minutes by Scott Bridges to add a spark for the wrong reasons.
Skipper Bridges made an excellent jinking run five minutes later to create a chance for himself but slipped just before he could get a shot off and then the Hanwell goalkeeper made a great save from a powerful John Frendo effort just before the half time whistle.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was slow going and it was Hanwell who had the first real goal chance by forcing Joe Welch into a superb save tipping over brilliantly on the hour mark.
Scott Bridges was substituted on 62 minutes to protect him for next week’s Champions Cup game and Matt Nolan came on as the formation switched to 4-4-2. The hobbling Spyros Mentis also departed for Adam Watkins to get some game time two minutes later.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 9 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 10 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
With some help up front Frendo began to feature more prominently, first with a great chance on 77 minutes that he bludgeoned high over the bar before he then opened the scoring when Gus Scott-Morriss arrived late on the right to curl in a low dangerous cross and Frendo threw himself forward and his diving header gave Royston the lead.
Frendo got his second on 91 minutes when this time Watkins provided the cross for him to head in.
The three points from this match made it 102 for the season for the Crows while their goal tally has ended up a mighty 121.
Royston Town: Welch, Scott-Morriss, Brathwaite, Scott Bridges (Nolan), Frater, Stuart Bridges, Ingrey (Orlando-Young), Mentis (Watkins), Frendo, Powell, Castiglione. Subs: Murray, May.