Crows march on

Fine run continues with win over Leverstock

Royston Town 4

Leverstock Green 0

SSMFL Premier Division

THE CROWS continued their fine run of form with an impressive win against in-form Leverstock Green on Saturday.

This was a third consecutive clean sheet for Paul Attfield’s side with 19 goals scored in the last four games. Kaan Fehmi gave Paul Attfield’s team an 11th-minute lead and Royston had to wait until the 77th minute before they doubled their advantage through Luke Robins. Goalkeeper Carl Tasker’s own goal four minutes later put the result beyond doubt but there was still time for Matt Standen to maintain his recent goalscoring exploits with the fourth in injury time.

Like other games of late Royston started with terrific intent. In the first minute they won a free kick out wide with Ryan Lockett’s far post delivery finding John McGrandles whose close-range half-volley was kept out by a combination of the keeper’s hand and post.

Most Read

Minutes later Kaan Fehmi received the ball on the left of the area before cutting inside and unleashing a shot that beat the ‘keeper all ends up only to flash narrowly wide of the far post.

Royston deservedly took an 11th minute lead when a good move down the right ended with Tom Malins crossing for Kaan Fehmi who nipped between two defenders to poke hope from eight yards.

For all the home side’s possession they struggled to create chances and The Greens finished the half the stronger.

The second half continued with Royston on top with two very good early chances. A Ryan Lockett cross found its way to Ross Collins 10 yards out who volleyed just wide and a cross from the right hand side from Malins saw John McGrandles get ahead of his marker but he couldn’t get enough on the header and it went a couple of yards wide.

Leverstock’s best chance came from a long clearance that eluded the Crows’ back line and the quick forward raced into the area but carelessly shot well wide of goal.

That was as good as it got for the visitors with Will Norris largely untroubled and not having to make a meaningful save for his team. While continuing to control proceedings, Attfield’s side lacked a cutting edge until the introduction of Robins soon changed that statistic.

On 77 minutes the winger reacted quickest to Carl Edwards’ angled ball and unleashed an unstoppable 18-yard drive high into the goal.

Robins was then pivotal in the third goal five minutes later when he received the ball out wide and knocked in what should have been a simple cross for the ‘keeper to claim but, inexplicably and under no pressure, the visiting stopper spilled the ball over the goal line.

With the visitors now clearly deflated, the Crows added a fourth when Matt Standen beat the offside trap to round Tasker and score from a tight angle to wrap up an impressive victory.

Royston Town: Norris, Endacott (Clemo), Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck, Collins, Edwards, Malins, Matt Standen, Lockett (Robins), Fehmi (Young).