Crows maintain unbeaten home record
London French sent packing after trip to Therfield Heath
Royston RFC 26
London French 7
ROYSTON RFC maintained their unbeaten home record with a comfortable victory over London French on Saturday at Therfield Heath.
With the wind blowing a gale and the sun shining brightly Royston played the first half with the elements on their back. After a short period of sustained pressure the Royston backs ran a well-planned training ground move to send Tristan Tegg gliding over the line and under the posts to open up the scoring with a converted try.
After some excellent kicking under pressure from Jason Deards, Royston quickly found themselves camped out on the French line again, and some great scrummaging from Steve Mills and the Sparkes brothers allowed Matt Muirhead to crash over another converted try.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 3 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 6 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 7 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 8 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 10 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
Royston had their tails up and with the large crowd giving great support, the inspired Rob Turner cut through the defence with ease and scored a superb solo effort, which was successfully converted.
Royston were not finished for the half, and this time the forwards had their chance to show off their training when they worked an excellent line-out move to send Muirhead over in the corner again. This try concluded the half and left Royston 26-0 up.
Royston shut up shop after the break but the visitors scored a consolation try minutes before the end. However this didn’t deter from their excellent bonus point win, that keeps them third in the table.
Royston IIs comprehensively beat Shelford Vs 43-12 in the Greene King Deuxieme League.
Colin Dacy scored the first try before the same player scored a penalty soon after to make the score 10-0. Shelford scored a try themselves before Cameron Murdoch helped himself to two tries. Shelford scored another try just after the interval but Tim Boyce smashed through to touch down and ensure the hosts remained in control.
Steve Crook and Jamie Green scored the last two tries in this one-sided match.
Royston U14s suffered a 40-17 defeat to Newmarket U14s on Sunday. Rhys Redrup scored two tries while Back of the Match Eddie Twyman also got on the scoresheet.
Debutant Steve Graham worked solidly in the second row and earned the Forward of the Match award.