Crows maintain unbeaten home record
London French sent packing after trip to Therfield Heath
Royston RFC 26
London French 7
ROYSTON RFC maintained their unbeaten home record with a comfortable victory over London French on Saturday at Therfield Heath.
You may also want to watch:
With the wind blowing a gale and the sun shining brightly Royston played the first half with the elements on their back. After a short period of sustained pressure the Royston backs ran a well-planned training ground move to send Tristan Tegg gliding over the line and under the posts to open up the scoring with a converted try.
After some excellent kicking under pressure from Jason Deards, Royston quickly found themselves camped out on the French line again, and some great scrummaging from Steve Mills and the Sparkes brothers allowed Matt Muirhead to crash over another converted try.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
Royston had their tails up and with the large crowd giving great support, the inspired Rob Turner cut through the defence with ease and scored a superb solo effort, which was successfully converted.
Royston were not finished for the half, and this time the forwards had their chance to show off their training when they worked an excellent line-out move to send Muirhead over in the corner again. This try concluded the half and left Royston 26-0 up.
Royston shut up shop after the break but the visitors scored a consolation try minutes before the end. However this didn’t deter from their excellent bonus point win, that keeps them third in the table.
Royston IIs comprehensively beat Shelford Vs 43-12 in the Greene King Deuxieme League.
Colin Dacy scored the first try before the same player scored a penalty soon after to make the score 10-0. Shelford scored a try themselves before Cameron Murdoch helped himself to two tries. Shelford scored another try just after the interval but Tim Boyce smashed through to touch down and ensure the hosts remained in control.
Steve Crook and Jamie Green scored the last two tries in this one-sided match.
Royston U14s suffered a 40-17 defeat to Newmarket U14s on Sunday. Rhys Redrup scored two tries while Back of the Match Eddie Twyman also got on the scoresheet.
Debutant Steve Graham worked solidly in the second row and earned the Forward of the Match award.