Crows knocked out of FA Cup in extra-time defeat

Wingate & Finchley come back from two goals down to sink Royston

FA Cup first qualifying round replay

Royston Town 2

Wingate & Finchley 3 (AET)

ROYSTON TOWN were knocked out of the FA Cup on Tuesday night in dramatic fashion at Garden Walk by their Ryman Premier League opponents.

After Luke Robins’ late goal on Saturday had earned Paul Attfield’s side a second bite at the cherry in the first tie, the Crows looked to be coasting into the next round after striker Ryan Ingrey had scored twice in the opening 12 minutes to put the hosts two goals to the good.

However, it was a different story after the break as goals from Leon Smith and Anderson Pinto took the game into extra time. And despite Royston coming close on several occasions, Pinto’s second shortly after the restart sealed Wingate’s passage to the next round to leave the Crows devastated despite more than matching their higher league opponents through 210 minutes of football.

Most Read

Within the first minute Royston were ahead with Luke Robins and Lee Wilson combining well down the left and a low cross was bundled in by Ingrey at the near post. The pace of the home side’s game was relentless and a double goal lead was secured on 12 minutes when Tommy Malins raced way down the right and cross for Ingrey to glance a header in at the near post.

After their dreadful start, the vistors were also fortunate to keep 11 players on the pitch when a crude challenge on Ingrey was only cautioned.

The visitors began to probe hard after the break and on 53 minutes got back into the game when Royston conceded a free kick that was headed in from eight yards by Smith.

And the visitors were level on 70 minutes in cruel circumstances when Pinto turned on the edge of the box with his wayward shot taking a wicked deflection off a leg and diverting the ball into the bottom corner.

Royston had a chance to regain the lead just a minute later when an excellent run and cross from Robins found Kaan Fehmi free eight yards from goal but his strike smacked against the post and was cleared as the game entered extra-time.

Malins had a stinging drive in the opening minute sting the hands of the keeper but the winning goal came when a wayward Royston pass in midfield found Pinto who looked up and smacked a 35-yard effort into the top corner, leaving the home side stunned.

There was still time for Pinto to get sent off for a poor tackle on Lewis Endacott after being cautioned for removing his shirt celebrating his excellent goal.

Royston pummelled the visiting area in the second period with relentless pressure but the Wingate defensive unit stood firm to see out the victory.

Royston Town: Norris, Endacott (Apostolos), Collins, Wilson, Bradshaw, Edwards, Ingrey, Malins, Lockett, Fehmi (Standen), Robins.