Crows goal machine notches up five more
Bedford Town Res 1 Royston Town 5 TWO GOALS apiece from Matt Turl and Craig Hammond set Royston on the way to a convincing 5-1 victory at Bedford Town. The win moved the Crows up to second in the Molten Spartan League Division One table. Manager Paul Att
Bedford Town Res 1 Royston Town 5
TWO GOALS apiece from Matt Turl and Craig Hammond set Royston on the way to a convincing 5-1 victory at Bedford Town.
The win moved the Crows up to second in the Molten Spartan League Division One table.
Manager Paul Attfield said: "The game was pretty much sealed in the opening 25 minutes so we were able to play within ourselves without having to play with great vigour."
Turl has been out of action for two months following a hernia operation, and marked his return to the side with a goal after just two minutes. David Cain played a long angled pass into the box, and the striker reacted well to volley home.
Bedford's backline struggled to cope with movement of Turl and Hammond throughout, and the latter doubled Royston's advantage on 16 minutes, latching on to Allan Reid's through ball and finishing confidently.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 3 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 6 Royston Photographic Society announces latest competition winners
- 7 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 8 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 9 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
The match was effectively over seven minutes later, when Turl looped a header into the net from a Tom Malins cross.
The home side pulled one back just before half time through Stacey Field, but in the second half Royston added two further strikes.
Another excellent cross from Malins was headed in by Jamie Babbage, who celebrated his first goal for the club, before Hammond wrapped things up with his 24th goal of the season, following up after a free kick into the box was only partially cleared.
Attfield said: "Once again we showed our ability as an attacking unit with some quality team goals, and it was another excellent victory for us."
Royston Town: Booth, Endacott, Chappell, Cain, J Babbage, Reid (Jackson), Edwards, Malins (Beaumont), Hammond, M Turl (Townsend, Robbins. Sub not used: Easley.