Crows goal machine notches up five more
Bedford Town Res 1 Royston Town 5 TWO GOALS apiece from Matt Turl and Craig Hammond set Royston on the way to a convincing 5-1 victory at Bedford Town. The win moved the Crows up to second in the Molten Spartan League Division One table. Manager Paul Att
Bedford Town Res 1 Royston Town 5
TWO GOALS apiece from Matt Turl and Craig Hammond set Royston on the way to a convincing 5-1 victory at Bedford Town.
The win moved the Crows up to second in the Molten Spartan League Division One table.
Manager Paul Attfield said: "The game was pretty much sealed in the opening 25 minutes so we were able to play within ourselves without having to play with great vigour."
You may also want to watch:
Turl has been out of action for two months following a hernia operation, and marked his return to the side with a goal after just two minutes. David Cain played a long angled pass into the box, and the striker reacted well to volley home.
Bedford's backline struggled to cope with movement of Turl and Hammond throughout, and the latter doubled Royston's advantage on 16 minutes, latching on to Allan Reid's through ball and finishing confidently.
- 1 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 4 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 5 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 6 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
The match was effectively over seven minutes later, when Turl looped a header into the net from a Tom Malins cross.
The home side pulled one back just before half time through Stacey Field, but in the second half Royston added two further strikes.
Another excellent cross from Malins was headed in by Jamie Babbage, who celebrated his first goal for the club, before Hammond wrapped things up with his 24th goal of the season, following up after a free kick into the box was only partially cleared.
Attfield said: "Once again we showed our ability as an attacking unit with some quality team goals, and it was another excellent victory for us."
Royston Town: Booth, Endacott, Chappell, Cain, J Babbage, Reid (Jackson), Edwards, Malins (Beaumont), Hammond, M Turl (Townsend, Robbins. Sub not used: Easley.