Crows get off to a flier at Aylesbury United

Attfield’s side win first match of the season

Aylesbury United 0

Royston Town 2

THE Crows got their league campaign off to the perfect start with a fully deserved win against former Zameretto Midlands Division side Aylesbury United on Saturday. The game was played at Leighton Town FC whose pitch surface state rather resembled an end of season one than a first of the season. This, combined with the humid weather conditions, made it the toughest of opening fixtures.

Manager Paul Attfield gave three of his summer signings full debuts with defender Laim McDevitt, Midfielder Danny Payne and Forward George Brinkman all starting and all three performed admirably in a fine team performance.

A Ryan Lockett penalty in the first half and a Josh Bronti strike midway through the second proved decisive but in fairness, if it hadn’t have been for the home goalkeeper the margin of victory could have been substantially higher.

The hosts started full of enthusiasm but without ever looking to threaten the Royston goal.

Most Read

A couple of early set plays were easily dealt with and as the half progressed Royston began to get into an effective rhythm which saw them create several presentable chances.

Bronti had two of the best with his first coming after a quick exchange of passes from Lockett and his well placed 18-yard shot was superbly turned around the post by the ‘keeper.

A few minutes later Lewis Endacott’s right wing cross found Bronti unmarked but he couldn’t quite direct his header on target.

Brinkman looked lively in attack and he broke through a static defence only to be thwarted by the ‘keeper at his feet with no Royston player following up to take advantage.

Brinkman also had the best chance of the half when his close range free header from Bronti’s cross which was superbly tipped over from point-blank range.

Lockett was unlucky when his individual run ended with a fierce drive just clearing the crossbar.

With the hosts unable to create any clear chances from their possession, it seemed only a matter of time before Royston took the lead which they did in the 43rd minute in controversial circumstances.

Luke Robins’ corner was well contested in the air but referee Crawford spotted an infringement and awarded a penalty that Lockett blasted into the bottom corner to give Royston a slender half time advantage.

Attfield replaced the cautioned Conor De Lacy with Carl Edwards as the game got more physically contested.

Brinkman received some rather crude treatment as the hosts amassed seven cautions as the referee continually halted play.

The hosts looked better in the second half and a poor Edwards back pass let in a forward that needed a combination of Jorden Gibson and Danny Payne to divert the danger away for a corner.

Royston still looked dangerous on the counter attack and another fine run from Lockett saw him cut in from the left and smack a 20-yard effort against the face of the upright. The half cleared ball was crossed in by Bronti with Carl Edward’s glancing header narrowly going wide.