Crows get back on track

Four second half goals put in-form Haringey to the sword

Haringey Borough 1

Royston Town 4

SSMFL Premier Division

ROYSTON TOWN got back to winning ways on Tuesday night with an impressive win away at in-form Haringey Borough.

After two narrow, and arguably undeserved, league defeats a trip to the fifth-placed placed Borough looked a daunting one considering the hosts had only suffered one competitive defeat since the beginning of November – against the Crows in the FA Vase earlier this month.

And things were made even harder when the home team went into half-time a goal to the good thanks to Chris Benjamin’s 27th-minute opener.

Most Read

However an excellent second-half fight back and four goals in the last half hour from Ricky Young, Kaan Fehmi (two) and Matt Standen sealed an important three points for Paul Attfield’s team. The win wasn’t enough to ensure a top of the table spot for Christmas, as Dunstable Town won 4-1 away at Harefield United.

Royston struggled to get a foothold in the game during the first half and the hosts deservedly took the lead when Benjamin raced through a couple of weak challenges and slotted under the advancing Will Norris.

Martin Standen had to be replaced due to a rib injury and the introduction of long-term absentee Ross Collins and a formation change gradually changed the Crows’ fortunes. Royston dominated the remainder of the half but were unable to find an equaliser.

The momentum continued in the second half with good pressure and territorial dominance but a lack of scoring opportunities forced Attfield into changes and both had an immediate impact.

On 60 minutes Young and Kaan Fehmi replaced Luke Robins and Carl Edwards and with his first touches Young made a fine run behind the full-back to control Collins’ lofted ball and fire under the ‘keeper. Five minutes later Kaan Fehmi picked up a loose ball in midfield and belted an unstoppable 25-yard left-footed drive into the top corner. The shot was severe enough for repair work to be required on the broken net.

Royston were completely on top and it was no surprise when Kaan Fehmi scored his second on 78 minutes with a neat finish inside the ‘keeper’s near post after cutting in from the left.

Matt Standen rounded off a superb second-half display with a headed goal in the final minute from Ryan Lockett’s inch-perfect cross.

Royston Town: Norris; Clemo, Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck; Martin Standen (Collins), Edwards (K Fehmi), Malins, Lockett; Matt Standen, Robins (Young).