Crows end season with a win
Sun Postal Sports 0 Royston Town 2 ROYSTON ended their season on a high with a comfortable 2-0 win at Sun Postal Sports. Manager Paul Attfield made a number of changes and despite missing several first team regulars The Crows made light work of their h
Sun Postal Sports 0 Royston Town 2
ROYSTON ended their season on a high with a comfortable 2-0 win at Sun Postal Sports.
Manager Paul Attfield made a number of changes and despite missing several first team regulars The Crows made light work of their hosts.
Strikers Ashley Townsend and Ryan Lockett both started brightly, with their clever link up play causing the Sun Postal Sports defence problems from the off.
You may also want to watch:
In support Tom Malins and Luke Robins also impressed as Royston threatened to open the hosts up.
Townsend had a brilliant opportunity to put the visitors in front after 11 minutes only to shoot wastefully wide, however he did make amends with a delicate pass into the path of Lockett who should have also done better from close range.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
A few more chances fell their way, before Malins thought he had scored on the stroke of half time, but with the ball seemingly slipping through a hole in the net the referee gave a goal kick much to Royston's frustration.
In the second half, Lockett continued to stretch the hosts' defence, and he was unlucky not to put The Crows in front forcing a good save from Keith Eldridge.
However, he did break the deadlock moments later, controlling Robins' pin-point pass and driving the ball home with a powerful angled drive.
At the other end Damion Williamson responded well to Ben Poulton's shot from the left, for what was the home side's best chance of the game.
To their credit, Sun Postal Sports did battle well and did much to stagnate Royston's early rhythm, with midfielders Poulton and Jack Brown effective on the ball.
Robins and Gregg Jackson both went close with a couple of strikes from distance as Royston searched for a second, with Lockett firing over following some good play by Malins.
With 10 minutes left, Townsend looked like he had put the game beyond any doubt rounding Eldridge, but his shot was blocked near the line. However, when Lockett whipped the ball back into the box Townsend reacted quickest and turned the ball home with a confident first time strike.