Crows downed by Aylesbury

Royston slip to disappointing home defeat

ROYSTON TOWN suffered a 2-0 defeat to Aylesbury United on Saturday in what was a disappointing afternoon for Paul Attfield’s side.

The Crows struggled to find any sort of momentum against a well-organised United, and a goal in each half condemned them to only their second defeat in 12 games.

Neither side started the match particularly brightly and Royston, especially, found it difficult to play their usual passing game on what was an incredibly bumpy pitch.

The visitors took the lead in the 24th minute with a header from a corner and it was yet another example after last week’s match against Leverstock Green that Royston need to get back to basics when it comes to defending set-pieces. A floated corner was drifted into the near post to an unmarked Craig Townsend who powered a header past Jorden Gibson.

The goal seemed to kick some life into Royston and they were unlucky not to restore parity on the half-hour mark. Full-back Jack Bradshaw strolled into the United half unopposed before supplying Ryan Lockett who took a touch and curled a brilliant effort that skimmed the face of the crossbar with the ‘keeper rooted to the spot. And in the same passage of the play the ball found its way back to him in the six yard box but his effort was cleared off the line.

Ross Collins had an even better chance a minute later when he found himself clear on goal after a pass over the top but he could only shoot wide having not had full control of the bouncing ball.

Most Read

Royston started the second half on the front foot and Lockett was unfortunate not to find himself on the scoresheet after going close twice shortly after the break.

First, he side-footed just wide from close range following a cross from Collins before seeing his dipping volley from 18 yards acrobatically tipped over the bar by the United stopper.

One of Royston’s faults was that they seemed to persist with crossing hopeful balls into the box time and again despite the glaringly obvious height advantage the visiting defenders had over the likes of Rhys Lawrence, Ricky Young and Lockett.

The ball just wasn’t sticking up top for Royston and this prompted the introduction of striker Will Turl with 30 minutes remaining.

However his presence failed to alter the dynamic of the game and Aylesbury began to look more and more dangerous on the counter attack.

Turl wasted a glorious chance to equalise with 15 minutes left when he blazed over from close range after Lockett’s free kick from deep was knocked into his path.

Royston were committing more and more men forward in search of the equaliser as the clock ticked down and the game was eventually decided when Danny Jones scored Aylesbury’s second goal in the 81st minute.

Winger Jones was set free with a long clearance from the back and he coolly slipped the ball over the advancing Gibson into the back of the net from just outside the area.

Royston’s attempts to get back into the match never materialised as the visitors stayed strong to claim a deserved victory at Garden Walk.

It was another opportunity lost for the Crows as leaders Chalfont could only draw at Leverstock Green.

Royston Town (4-4-2): Gibson 6, Endacott 6 (Lamacraft 75), Cain 6, McGrandles 6, Bradshaw 6, Collins 6 (Apostolos 75), Edwards 7, Martin Standen 6, Lawrence 6, Lockett 7, Young 7 (Turl 61).

Att: 184