Crows blown away by league-leaders
Worst home defeat for four years
Royston Town 0-5 Chalfont St Peter
ROYSTON suffered their heaviest home league defeat in four years as league-leaders Chalfont St Peter showed just why they are favourites to win the title after leaving Paul Attfield’s team in a sorry state by the full-time whistle.
For 70 minutes their had been little between the two sides and while the visitors had found themselves two up at the interval, this was a harsh reflection on the Crows, but the way the team gave up in the last 10 minutes caused a number of raised eyebrows as Chalfont finished in style.
Royston didn’t go into the game in great shape with Tom Malins, Luke Robins, Conor De Lacy and George Brinkman all ruled out injured while four of the starters had not recovered fully from injuries suffered during the week but, despite this, Royston were the better team in the first half and should have been ahead.
You may also want to watch:
The Crows’ first chance of the game came when Ryan Lockett’s free kick was met by Ashley Grinham only for the full-back’s effort to come back of the crossbar.
Attfield was then forced into an early change with Carl Edwards being replaced by Arron Welch after an early booking and final warning had been issued to the centre midfielder.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 9 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 10 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
Chalfont were limited to half chances in the opening stages although they became more threatening on the counter-attack when the hosts gave up possession and that’s how they took the lead on 37 minutes with their first real chance. A break from defence saw Royston caught up field and a crisp 12-yard finish gave ‘keeper Lee Robinson no chance.
The pivotal moment came in first half injury time when a long ball was claimed by Robinson but as he collided with the Chalfont forward the ball rolled from his grasp into the net. Vigorous protests over the goal went unheeded and another two yellow cards were issued for the trouble.
Chalfont were well organised in the second half sitting deep and counter attacking well when given the opportunity. Royston had much more of the ball but were genuinely poor with it and struggled to create clear chances.
Attfield endured more woe with two more enforced changes after injuries to both full backs Lewis Endacott and Ashley Grinham and Chalfont began picking royston off in the last 10 minutes with three counter-attacking goals to seal a bad afternoon for the Crows.
Chalfont are now 11 points ahead of the Crows and look like they will take some stopping.
As for the Crows, it looks like a case of going back to the drawing board.
Royston Town: Robinson, Endacott (Whitaker), Grinham (McDevitt), Mulvaney, McElvoy, Collins, Edwards (Welch), Bronti, Young, Lockett, Webb.