Crotty comes close to causing upset
BOXING: Royston s Billy Crotty lost out on a close split decision to World Lightweight 60kg Champion Frankie Gavin. Gavin, who is among the favourites for securing a gold medal at the forthcoming Beijing Olympics, was pushed all the way by the Stevenage
BOXING: Royston's Billy Crotty lost out on a close split decision to World Lightweight 60kg Champion Frankie Gavin.
Gavin, who is among the favourites for securing a gold medal at the forthcoming Beijing Olympics, was pushed all the way by the Stevenage ABC boxer.
Crotty beat Gavin to the punch on a number of occasions, with one big right hand sending Gavin's gum shield spiralling through the air.
Round four was also a tight affair, before Gavin eventually came out on top.
You may also want to watch:
Crotty's coach Dave Blows said: "Billy almost pulled off what would have been possibly one of the greatest shocks in the history of amateur boxing.
"After four hard rounds, it was Billy who left with the moral victory."
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
It has been a successful year for Royston's talented boxers, with Billy's brother George being crowned the Golden Gloves Champion, and earning a place in the England squad for the European Schoolboy Championships at the end of the month.
Nineteen-year-old Bradley Evans has also shone, and having represented his country nine times he also lifted the prestigious Senior ABC Featherweight title in May. All three represent Stevenage ABC.