Creake Shield blow for Chishill
Great Chishill 2 Great Shelford Res 3 THE search for Great Chishill s first win continues as they suffered a narrow defeat in the Creake Shield on Saturday. Responding well to last week s disappointing defeat to Melbourn, Steve McGee gave the hosts the
Great Chishill 2
Great Shelford Res 3
THE search for Great Chishill's first win continues as they suffered a narrow defeat in the Creake Shield on Saturday.
Responding well to last week's disappointing defeat to Melbourn, Steve McGee gave the hosts the perfect start by working some space and slotting home inside 10 minutes.
For the first half an hour, Chishill looked the stronger of the two sides and passed the ball superbly, as well as keeping the Shelford attack at bay.
They then doubled the lead when Jonathan Drury's shot was blocked, with McGee on hand once more, following up with a confident close range finish.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 4 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 7 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 In pictures: 'Amazing' Paloma Faith wows fans as Newmarket Nights season starts with a bang
However, Shelford hit back heading home from a free-kick.
The visitors started the second half well and Chishill keeper Ian Gallagher had to be at his best, tipping one powerful volley over the bar.
As the half wore on, it looked as if Chishill would hold on, but another gifted free header sent the game to extra time.
In a closely contested 30 minutes, the lottery of a penalty shootout loomed, however, Shelford snatched a late winner bundling the ball home following another set-piece.
Great Chishill: Gallagher; R Drury, Gardiner, Lombari, Wilson; Radford, Saward, E Drury, J Drury, Williams; McGee. (Subs): Hodge, Rolfe, Gibson.