County Shield joy for Royston teens
- Credit: Archant
ROYSTON U15s have won the Hertfordshire Shield after a 40-19 victory over Old Albanians C in St Albans.
Royston came from behind on the day to lift the Shield after overcoming Watford U15s 24-10 in the semi-final the previous week.
Harry Bayford scored the first try of the game following a quick tap penalty and break from skipper Jacob Boyce. Ben Ireland converted to put The Crows 7-0 up.
OA’s replied soon after with a converted try of their own. However, strong runs from props James Reeder, Cameron Bonfield and Steve Graham resulted in Bayford’s second try of the game. Ireland again converted to put Royston back into the lead.
OA’s again came back with a try, but this time failed to convert leaving the half-time score at 14-12.
You may also want to watch:
The St Albans side started the second half the stronger, adding another converted try to take a 19-14 advantage.
A try saving tackle from Max Oliver rejuvenated Royston and it wasn’t long before they were back in the lead.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Bayford completed his hat-trick and Chris Chivanganye touched down after a solo run.
Outstanding hooking from Callum Waring allowed tough tackling centres Rhys Redrup and Max Ayliffe to each touch down and further extend Royston’s lead. Ireland converted both tries to add to his impressive performance throughout.
Replacements Tyler Boyne, Dominic Dunklin, Luke Duncan and Oscar Ayliffe all contributed to a spirited finish for Royston on what was a proud day for the ruby club.
Coaches, David Ayliffe and Godfrey Everett, were both extremely proud of their team’s performance – the first County triumph for the club at U15 level.
“It is very humbling to be on this journey with these young men,” said Ayliffe.
“We truly have a champion team. In the past two seasons, the boys have been league champions, promoted last year and this, and are now Hertforshire County Shield winners.”
The team for Royston’s final triumph was: Cameron Bonfield, Callum Waring, James Reeder, Steve Graham, Max Oliver, Dan Jones, James Meacham, Jacob Boyce, James Kirby, Ben Ireland, James Shannon, Max Ayliffe, Rhys Redrup, Harry Bayford and Chris Chivanganye. Replacements: Tyler Boyne, Dominic Dunklin, Luke Duncan, Oscar Ayliffe.