County Shield joy for Royston teens
- Credit: Archant
ROYSTON U15s have won the Hertfordshire Shield after a 40-19 victory over Old Albanians C in St Albans.
Royston came from behind on the day to lift the Shield after overcoming Watford U15s 24-10 in the semi-final the previous week.
Harry Bayford scored the first try of the game following a quick tap penalty and break from skipper Jacob Boyce. Ben Ireland converted to put The Crows 7-0 up.
OA’s replied soon after with a converted try of their own. However, strong runs from props James Reeder, Cameron Bonfield and Steve Graham resulted in Bayford’s second try of the game. Ireland again converted to put Royston back into the lead.
OA’s again came back with a try, but this time failed to convert leaving the half-time score at 14-12.
You may also want to watch:
The St Albans side started the second half the stronger, adding another converted try to take a 19-14 advantage.
A try saving tackle from Max Oliver rejuvenated Royston and it wasn’t long before they were back in the lead.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
Bayford completed his hat-trick and Chris Chivanganye touched down after a solo run.
Outstanding hooking from Callum Waring allowed tough tackling centres Rhys Redrup and Max Ayliffe to each touch down and further extend Royston’s lead. Ireland converted both tries to add to his impressive performance throughout.
Replacements Tyler Boyne, Dominic Dunklin, Luke Duncan and Oscar Ayliffe all contributed to a spirited finish for Royston on what was a proud day for the ruby club.
Coaches, David Ayliffe and Godfrey Everett, were both extremely proud of their team’s performance – the first County triumph for the club at U15 level.
“It is very humbling to be on this journey with these young men,” said Ayliffe.
“We truly have a champion team. In the past two seasons, the boys have been league champions, promoted last year and this, and are now Hertforshire County Shield winners.”
The team for Royston’s final triumph was: Cameron Bonfield, Callum Waring, James Reeder, Steve Graham, Max Oliver, Dan Jones, James Meacham, Jacob Boyce, James Kirby, Ben Ireland, James Shannon, Max Ayliffe, Rhys Redrup, Harry Bayford and Chris Chivanganye. Replacements: Tyler Boyne, Dominic Dunklin, Luke Duncan, Oscar Ayliffe.