Cougars make history
BUNTINGFORD Cougars under-sevens became the first squad in the club s long history to lift the converted Royston Crow League Cup. The squad of nine players went all the way during a rain-soaked tournament in Stevenage. Cougars played a total of eight mat
BUNTINGFORD Cougars under-sevens became the first squad in the club's long history to lift the converted Royston Crow League Cup.
The squad of nine players went all the way during a rain-soaked tournament in Stevenage. Cougars played a total of eight matches over the preliminary and tournament proper to lift the trophy - winning six and drawing two games, conceding just two goals along the way.
They started slowly, drawing their first two matches and needing a win in their third against Arlesey - who had already secured their place in the last eight - to qualify, with striker Jack McMeechan scoring the winning goal.
Cougars then faced pre-tournament favourites Bedwell Youth, but dominated from the start, and secured a 1-0 win with Bradley Reeves scoring the winner.
You may also want to watch:
A 1-0 win against Stotfold in the semi-final was significant for two moments of brilliance. The first was a jinking run from Paul Briffett who ran from his own half, and turned two defenders inside out before unleashing an unstoppable shot.
The second moment came when the increasingly impressive goalkeeper Josh Wyatt pulled off a double save from point blank range.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
In the final against Stevenage Borough Cougars took an early lead through Jack McMeechan before conceding only their second goal of the day from a speculative long range effort.
Buntingford did not let their heads go down and fought back well with the winner coming from McMeechan who finished well from just inside the box.
The winning squad were Josh Wyatt, Jacob Pike, Aaron Callcut, Connor Poulton, Bradley Reeves, Dane Hyland, Paul Briffett, Christopher Bowell, Jack McMeechan.