Corvus Cornix Basketball team volunteer Di Charles is honoured with national award
- Credit: GEO Pictorial / George S Blonsky
A Royston lady has been honoured for her dedication to basketball by the Torch Trophy Trust at their 52nd annual awards evening in Pall Mall, London.
Di Charles, in her seventies, who was a founder member of Royston’s Corvus Cornix Basketball Club back in 1969, received a nomination by Basketball England for the prestigious ‘Torch Trophy Award’ after over 40 years of volunteering work.
Along with several other motivated volunteers, Charles was presented with the award by the Countess of Wessex Sophie Rhys-Jones at the Army and Navy Club.
Di was accompanied to the awards ceremony by her Corvus founder member and husband Ken Charles MBE and Terry Graves coach for the club.
Trust board member Christine Janes MBE said: “She has volunteered her services as secretary, chair, president, coach and official.
You may also want to watch:
“Di passionately wants the best for every player and has been lauded for her boundless enthusiasm, energy for the game and for ensuring it is one where participation is possible for anybody, regardless of age, skill or ability.
“She’s driven by her love for basketball, a love that has seen her spearhead many initiatives to drive participation, including setting up women-only sessions, reconnecting former players with the game and organising domestic and European basketball festivals and jamborees.”
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
The Torch Trophy Trust is a charity that rewards, recognises and supports volunteers in sport and recreation. They offer bursaries and recognise the achievements of some of the UK’s most outstanding volunteers in the annual Torch Trophy Trust Awards, presented by a member of the Royal Family.
Legendary England footballer Sir Bobby Charlton, who was also present at the event, said: “The recipients of our awards form a vital part of the fabric of what holds grassroots sport together. I am glad that our winners are enjoying the recognition they deserve.”