Coppen lines up two finals
ROYSTON S Matt Coppen faces two county finals, having qualified for the county singles and county pairs final. Alongside Peter Adams, Coppen breezed through to the pairs final following a comprehensive 20-8 victory over their Garston BC opponents. Coppe
ROYSTON'S Matt Coppen faces two county finals, having qualified for the county singles and county pairs final.
Alongside Peter Adams, Coppen breezed through to the pairs final following a comprehensive 20-8 victory over their Garston BC opponents.
Coppen then saw off Andrew Birden of St Albans-based Townsend BC, bouncing back from being 18-13 down and three points away from defeat.
The talented 17-year-old dug deep however, and fought back to claim an entertaining 21-18 triumph.
Don Sheriff reached the next round of his L&D singles bid with a convincing 21-1 victory over Barry Platten of the Letchworth-based Whitehorn BC.
However, Eileen Sheriff was less successful in her bid to reach the final of the Ladies Champion of Champions, slipping to 21-10 semi-final defeat to June Lonegan of Sele Farm BC.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
Resuming action in the M&D League, Royston saw off Chesterton 71 (5 points) to 61 (2 points). In a close affair Beryl Huckle, John Huffer and skip Derek Goodwin clinched the win for Royston, while the club also claimed a win in the third round of the L&D Triples, with Terry Hollands, Bob Porter and Laurie Ramsay seeing off their Letchworth Conservatives opponents 17-13.
Peter Graves, Mel Flack, and Don Sheriff were also in action in the L&D Triples and in taking on rivals Baldock BC in a tight encounter Royston managed to edge in front and secure a valuable 15-12 win.