Coppen crowns a great year
YOUNG bowls champion Matt Coppen capped a marvellous year by collecting his county under-25 singles and under-30s singles titles at the Hertfordshire Bowls Association Annual Presentation. It has been another impressive season for the 17-year-old, who wa
YOUNG bowls champion Matt Coppen capped a marvellous year by collecting his county under-25 singles and under-30s singles titles at the Hertfordshire Bowls Association Annual Presentation.
It has been another impressive season for the 17-year-old, who was "delighted" to have received the trophies.
He said: "It was a very proud moment, and there were quite a few people present so I was a little nervous.
"But it was a good evening and a nice way to end a good year.
You may also want to watch:
"I've worked hard and hopefully I'll see similar success in the future."
Coppen was crowned British Junior Singles Bowls under-25 champion in July, and followed that with a double triumph by taking the county titles and in some style.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
He saw off Harpenden's Simon Burgess 21-8 in the under-25 final, and then beat Hertford's Simon Penfold 21-0 in the under-30 final.
Brian Pepper of Royston Bowls Club said: "Matt has done really well - it's certainly been a good year for him!"
- Coppen was joined at the presentation, which was held at Letchworth Hall Hotel, by fellow Royston Bowls Club representatives Will Martin and Charles Gifford.