Coppen crowns a great year
YOUNG bowls champion Matt Coppen capped a marvellous year by collecting his county under-25 singles and under-30s singles titles at the Hertfordshire Bowls Association Annual Presentation. It has been another impressive season for the 17-year-old, who wa
YOUNG bowls champion Matt Coppen capped a marvellous year by collecting his county under-25 singles and under-30s singles titles at the Hertfordshire Bowls Association Annual Presentation.
It has been another impressive season for the 17-year-old, who was "delighted" to have received the trophies.
He said: "It was a very proud moment, and there were quite a few people present so I was a little nervous.
"But it was a good evening and a nice way to end a good year.
"I've worked hard and hopefully I'll see similar success in the future."
Coppen was crowned British Junior Singles Bowls under-25 champion in July, and followed that with a double triumph by taking the county titles and in some style.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
He saw off Harpenden's Simon Burgess 21-8 in the under-25 final, and then beat Hertford's Simon Penfold 21-0 in the under-30 final.
Brian Pepper of Royston Bowls Club said: "Matt has done really well - it's certainly been a good year for him!"
- Coppen was joined at the presentation, which was held at Letchworth Hall Hotel, by fellow Royston Bowls Club representatives Will Martin and Charles Gifford.