Convincing Saffron victory
Saffron Rangers 3 Steeple Morden Reserves 1 FOLLOWING the heavy defeat at the hands of Melbourn seven days earlier manager Paul Jarman demanded a reaction from his charges this week as they travelled to Duxford to take on the undefeated league leaders.
Saffron Rangers 3
Steeple Morden Reserves 1
FOLLOWING the heavy defeat at the hands of Melbourn seven days earlier manager Paul Jarman demanded a reaction from his charges this week as they travelled to Duxford to take on the undefeated league leaders.
Both sides had chances early on but it was the home team that took the lead from a corner, the ball, fortuitously going in off the back of the striker's head.
Morden battled back and replied almost immediately. A good exchange of passes between Steve Little and Kieran Smith resulted in the driven low cross that evaded the attention of the home defence and Sam Jones was on hand to drive home from 10 yards.
Little was in the thick of it 15 minutes later when the ball struck his arm on the goal line and the referee pointed to the spot.
- 1 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 2 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 3 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 6 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 7 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 8 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 9 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
The kick sent keeper Tim Tidey the wrong way and the lead was restored.
On the stroke of half time Rangers struck lucky, a shot that looked to be covered by Tidey took a big deflection and nestled in the corner of the net.
Morden, to a man, were left somewhat bewildered by their misfortune. Neither side managed to add to their tally in the second period, Jason Clark coming closest for the visitors.