Comfortable victory for ladies
AFC Kempston Rovers 0 Royston Town Ladies 4 Royston opened their 2006/07 campaign with a comfortable victory against newly promoted Rovers on Sunday. An uneven surface and a swirling wind made if difficult for the visitors to get their passing game toget
AFC Kempston Rovers 0
Royston Town Ladies 4
Royston opened their 2006/07 campaign with a comfortable victory against newly promoted Rovers on Sunday.
An uneven surface and a swirling wind made if difficult for the visitors to get their passing game together but within six minutes they went one-up.
You may also want to watch:
A great ball out of defence by Gemma Barlow found Laura Foulger, who beat her marker and curled the ball just inside the right hand post.
Further pressure from Town saw opportunities go begging for Emma Chaffey and Caroline Lambert, while Jodie Scott was only denied by a great save from Rovers' keeper.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 4 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 5 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
At the other end a rare lapse in concentration let in the home team's striker but a brave piece of goal keeping from Amy Walker denied her the equaliser.
In the second half Town's tactical switch of playing Chaffey in a midfield role paid early dividends and created the chance for Scott to make it 2-0.
Rovers seemed to be incapable of breaking down Town's resolute defence marshalled by skipper Vicky Foulger and it was only a matter of time before they out the game beyond Kempston's reach.
A powerful run down the right by Leanne Buchannan put in Laura Folger, who having seen her first attempt well saved, managed to score at the second.
With 15 minutes left Town introduced three of their new signings, Hannah Gifford, Ruth Jordan and Wendy Webster, all of who made useful contributions.
In the dying minutes the visitors completed the job when the hard-working Lambert avoided a series of desperate tackles to slot the ball home.