Comfortable Jock Stewart victory for Heath golfers
ROYSTON Golf Club beat Newmarket Golf Club in the first round of the Jock Stewart County competition at The Heath on Saturday. The six man foursomes event has always been a hotly contested tournament, especially as Newmarket always host the final. All t
ROYSTON Golf Club beat Newmarket Golf Club in the first round of the Jock Stewart County competition at The Heath on Saturday.
The six man foursomes event has always been a hotly contested tournament, especially as Newmarket always host the final.
All three pairs from Royston won, Richard Howorth and Peter Prentice won 2 & 1, Alan Saunders and Eddie Collins 1 up and the final pair Warwick Raymen and David Renouf had an impressive 6 & 5 victory. Royston will now have an away match at Old Nene or Girton.
The men's team played host to the national team from the Army Physical Training Corp on Wednesday and ran out winners five matches to three.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors enjoyed the heathland course and presented the club with a memento of the occasion.
The Easter weekend teed off with the Flag Competition on Good Friday, which raises funds for the junior section.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
The winner of the men's section was Charlie Fidler who nearly reached the first green on his second round. James Smith did reached the first green in winning the junior section with Alice Lewis winning the ladies.
The fourball on Sunday was won by Keith Cridland and Mick Merry with 43 points, closely followed by Keith Pitts and Neil Skehel with 42 points. In third place on countback were Malcolm Meeson-Smith and John Davison.
The popular Texas Scramble on Monday attracted more than 100 entries with all enjoying the fine weather.
The scratch section was won by David Sands, Gareth Cooper, Jack Yetton and Stuart Phillips with a gross 61.
Runners-up with 62 were, Adam Dyer, Gary Hainsworth, Phil Neep and Clive Middlemass.
The handicap section was won by Graham and Libby Toby and Sid and Josie Seward with nett 52.2'
Finishing in second place, just over a shot behind were Geoff Truran, Peter Mitchell, Darren Farmer and Bailey Farmer.