Comeback seals trophy triumph
ROYSTON Tennis Club held the mixed and ladies doubles finals on Saturday. First out were Kathryn Betts and partner John Goodbody against Karin Lambert and Roger Maybury and the exciting match saw the latter pair take Randall Cup by two sets to love. Next
ROYSTON Tennis Club held the mixed and ladies doubles finals on Saturday.
First out were Kathryn Betts and partner John Goodbody against Karin Lambert and Roger Maybury and the exciting match saw the latter pair take Randall Cup by two sets to love.
Next up were the ladies doubles with Caroline McCormick and partner Christine Knight taking on Kathryn Betts and Sue Addison.
McCormick and Knight took the first set and despite being 4-1 up in the second after many deuce games Betts and Addison made a strong comeback to take the second set in a tiebreak before taking the third, and the Rose Bowl trophies, to claim the title.
These were the last matches in the club's annual tournament this year.
The next round of matches for all teams will start in two weeks when the Cambridgeshire Winter Adult League commences with the men's second team away to Buckden.
- 1 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 2 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Royston Town happy to be a breeding ground if it helps their own progression
- 5 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 6 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
- 7 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
The junior teams will be playing in the Hertfordshire Winter League.
For full details of all matches and club membership visit www.royston-tennis.co.uk