Colts keep pressure up for well-deserved win

Royston Colts U-9 2 St Neots Town 0 GOALS from Matthew Stout and Richard Jonas gave Colts victory on Saturday. Town were pinned in their own half for the majority of both halves but always looked dangerous on the break. However, it was a goal in each ha

Royston Colts U-9 2

St Neots Town 0

GOALS from Matthew Stout and Richard Jonas gave Colts victory on Saturday.

Town were pinned in their own half for the majority of both halves but always looked dangerous on the break.

However, it was a goal in each half from Colts after constant probing and pressure which brought about the deserved win.

The first came from a Colts move down the left, with Jack Jefferies playing the ball down the line to Jake Long who cut inside into the box, past two Town defenders to strike the ball at goal, the Town keeper could only parry the ball away, but Stout was on hand to tuck the ball home for the opener.

Most Read

The second half brought much of the same with a couple of half chances for Colts to increase the lead.

It finally came from a Stout throw-in on the left which bounced on the edge of the town box, causing indecision and confusion amongst their defence, however Richard Jonas took control of the situation for Colts and half volleyed with his left foot straight into the of the net.

Royston Colts U-9 B 1

St Neots Town 1

THE B game was also a thrilling contest and again brought some good passing football from both teams.

However it was early Saints pressure which brought the opener after a well-taken corner hit the Colts bar and the rebound fell kindly, to allow an easy tap in.

The game continued to be played from end to end with a number of chances for both teams that were not taken.

A half-time substitution for Colts bringing on Corey Anderson paid dividends and Colts took more control of the game.

This eventually led to the goal after Colts won a corner, Bradley Sell crossing the ball well and the Town defence not clearing the ball properly. Liam Long was strong and won two tackles on the edge of the box and had a snap shot only to see it rebound off the Town keeper.

However Jack Freeman pounced quickly and fired home from close range.

Colts continued to apply pressure and went for the win, forcing a number of corners which saw the whole team in and around the Town penalty area to take a last minute winner but Colts just could not force the ball over the line.

Melbourn Dynamo

Leopards U-10 3

Symonds Green 0

LEOPARDS closed the gap on third place to a single point with a hard earned win over a spirited Symonds Green side.

The score could have been much greater though if it were not for a superb performance by the Symonds Green goalkeeper who kept Melbourn at bay until well into the second half.

It didn't take the Leopards long to get into their stride and a looping shot by Matt Davis looked like it was going to provide the perfect start as it aimed for the top corner. However the keeper pulled off an excellent reflex save to push it out for a corner.

This was to continue to be the theme for the rest of the half as further saves thwarted attempts by Tom Lee, Cameron Douglas and Davis once more. At the back, Douglas and Jack Hammond were keeping things tidy and preventing any scoring opportunities for the opposing side.

The second half was proving to be just as difficult for Melbourn until Sam Crago picked the ball up just outside the Symonds Green area and fired in a low and precise left foot shot beyond the reach of the goalie and into the opposite corner of the goal.

This was just what Melbourn needed and the game suddenly opened up. This provided the Leopards with more space to put their passes together and it was not long before they were two up with a well taken goal from midfielder Tommy Froggatt after some fine work from Ben Cattley and Tom Lee.

Man of the match Cattley was now helping drive Melbourn forward from midfield and good inter passing with Adam Breeze put Lee into space down the right.

Lee's perfect cross into the middle was touched on by Crago and Frogatt put the ball away from close range for his second of the match and Melbourns third.

There was still time for Symonds Green to bring the Leopards keeper into action, however the solid Jack Ovens came out of his goal bravely to prevent the shot.

- Royston Town Colts defeated Baldock Town Templars 4-1 in the under-15 Division One, on Saturday.

The home side's persistence paid off after 15 minutes when Karl Smiths high ball from just inside the visitors half found Keaton Black, who hit the ball over the advancing keeper.

Six minutes later the score was doubled when the visitors clearance found Jak Quinn. His lofted pass found Luke McCarthy on the right hand side of the penalty area, and the ball was slotted into the corner of the net. McCarthy's second, an almost copy of his first came just before half time.

Baldock's better start to the second half was rewarded after eight minutes with a well taken goal. Black finished the scoring in the 77th minute with his second goal, breaking free of his marker.

He ran the ball into the box and calmly slotted the ball past the keeper and into the corner of the net.