Colts coast to victory in six-goal county cup romp

IMPRESSIVE Royston Town Colts are through to the next round of the county cup with a 6-1 hammering of ­Leverstock Green. Their passing stood out once more as Leverstock struggled from the off. Alistair Richardson and Justin Leavers impressed at the back

IMPRESSIVE Royston Town Colts are through to the next round of the county cup with a 6-1 hammering of ­Leverstock Green.

Their passing stood out once more as Leverstock struggled from the off.

Alistair Richardson and Justin Leavers impressed at the back, and gave goalkeeper Troy Mayo plenty of protection.

In midfield Bradley Calvert, George Bailey and Robbie Norman created space for Rhys Westbury to break the deadlock for his first of four goals.

Going into the break 3-1 up, Royston came out in full swing and within minutes Bailey had made if four.

Leavers then scored directly from a corner before Westbury completed the rout with another clever finish.

Most Read

There was also county cup success for Melbourn Dynamos Panthers under-10s who came away from their trip to Hemel Hempstead with a deserved 1-0 win.

In a game that was a little scrappy, the visitors edged it, thanks to some fine teamwork, but as a result of some tight play, the sides went into the interval at 0-0.

In the second half the Panthers upped the tempo, with Willem van de Ven threatening in attack.

However, it was a stroke of ­misfortune that broke the deadlock when the Hemel keeper failed to hold a James Fowkes free-kick with just six minutes left.

Van de Ven went close late on, with man-of-the-match James Rushton, Alex Maskell, Eddie Twyman, and Sam Bedlow also impressing.

Celtic Crusaders under-13s slipped up against division ­strugglers Milton, going down 3-2 at home.

Crusaders started well and it was not long before Ryan Geraghty resumed his goal scoring ways, thanks to a fine strike that left the Milton keeper with little chance.

At the other end Tim O'Connor and Mitch Wooding cleared well in defence, and whenever Milton broke through, Jamie Simpson was off his line like a flash to halt any further advance.

Celtics had other chances, but were unable to convert, and at the break their slim 1-0 lead looked somewhat insufficient.

Nevertheless, Celtic pressed ahead and went close when some excellent passing set up Alfie Payne who shot just over the bar.

Milton then sustained a long period of dominance, and only excellent work by Wooding and Simpson kept them at bay.

However, Milton snatched an equaliser when their forward reacted quickest to a spilled ball in the Celtic box, and added a second moments later.

In the final minutes man-of-the-match Jacob Leighton delivered a dangerous shot that sailed over the outstretched Milton keeper to level the scores.

However, in their eagerness to win the game Crusaders pressed forward in numbers but failed to leave sufficient bodies in the centre of the park, and as a result Milton countered and snatched a late winner.

Stansted Juniors under-13s' 100 per cent winning start to the season ended on Sunday as Hormead Hares under-13s held on to a 3-3 draw.

And the Hares continued their own unbeaten run despite going a goal down early in the first half.

However, Bryce Hagger leveled for Hormead from a corner, before Hares captain Edward Worby put his side ahead with a brilliant strike.

Stansted equalised with seconds left of the first half, to set up an entertaining second period of football.

After the break the game continued to be fast and furious, with substitutes Joe Woodcock and Ian Curtis pushing Hormead forward.

And their efforts were rewarded when Alex Underwood pounced for goal number three.

But it was a goal that again lifted Stansted's own efforts, and after several good saves from Hormead keeper Robert Brain, they equalised for a second time.

Baldock Town Youth Templars under-12s came out on top in another entertaining game, beating Stevenage Borough Juniors 6-2.

Matthew Judges inspired Town with a devastating hat-trick, as Daniel Nicholson's brace and Ryan Savage's header condemned their Stevenage opponents.

Dylan Walsh's dazzling run and cross found Savage early on for the goal of the game, before Judges struck with two quick goals in two minutes.

Nicholson all but sealed the win with his first, and he scored again, with Baldock's fifth, thanks to Alex Close's pass just before half time.

Stevenage came out in the second half in a more confident mood and shocked Baldock with a goal inside the opening five minutes.

Borough then closed the gap further with a second, but minutes later Judges restored his side's four goal lead after Jordan Massey found Judges in the box.

Letchworth Yellows under-12s' strike duo of Jordan Leech-Levy and Caspar Courlander impressed as their side knocked seven past Melbourn Dynamos.

A brace apiece for the skilful strikers combined with Josh Valpy-Nelson, Kyle Males, and Fenton Hancock strikes saw Letchworth home for their first win of the season.

Players-of-the-match Moore and Hancock impressed out wide for Letchworth, as did Jordan Leech-Levy.