Colts canter into cup second round
ROYSTON Town Colts under-13s thrashed Ashwell Academicals to secure their place in the second round of the county cup. Colts raced to a scintillating 7-2 home win against their Division 2 rivals – a win that was inspired by another Jordan Hall hat-trick.
ROYSTON Town Colts under-13s thrashed Ashwell Academicals to secure their place in the second round of the county cup.
Colts raced to a scintillating 7-2 home win against their Division 2 rivals - a win that was inspired by another Jordan Hall hat-trick.
Starting well, Jake Benstead netted from distance with a goal that took just 42 seconds.
Royston bombarded the Ashwell goal, with Hall hitting the bar, and Jack Bailey striking a post.
Bailey made amends moments later however, turning a delightful shot past the Ashwell keeper.
Conor Saggers then made it three with a solo effort as Royston outclassed their higher division opposition.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
Hall made it four following up an Ashley Chapman strike, before the home side took their foot off the gas and allowed Ashwell in to score two goals.
However, some unselfish play from Benstead set up Hall up for his second and Colts' fifth, with the same player involved in Hall's hat-trick soon after.
Bailey increased the lead further with Royston's seventh, with a clinical finish capping a fine move from Chapman and Max McLean.
Royston will now face Wymondley Park in the second round.