Collins strikes sink league leaders
Leverstock Green 0-2 Royston Town
SSMFL Premier Division
Leverstock Green 0 Royston Town 2
A BRACE from captain Ross Collins was enough to see Royston Town overcome league leaders Leverstock Green on Saturday.
This was an impressive win from Paul Attfield’s side, who dominated almost entirely from start to finish.
Attfield was forced to give 18-year-old goalkeeper Will Norriss his debut after Jorden Gibson was ruled out due to injury, but such was the Crows’ supremacy at Pancake Lane that he had a largely trouble-free afternoon as a spectator for the most part.
Leverstock were surprisingly cautious for a team that went into the match four points clear at the top of the table.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 8 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
The closest Royston came to breaking the deadlock in the first half was when centre-half Jack Bradshaw headed just over the crossbar from a free-kick. But despite the visitors’ good build-up play they were unable to find the breakthrough their performance warranted.
They upped their tempo in the second half, though, and the off-the-ball movement of Collins, Ricky Young, Kaan Fehmi and Ryan Lockett in particular became more difficult for Leverstock to contain the Crows as the match wore on. And they duly took the lead on 57 minutes when a defence-splitting back-heel from Young allowed Collins to fire past the advancing goalkeeper from an acute angle.
This prompted a formation change for the hosts as they had to show more attacking intent but Royston’s dominance in all areas continued and the opening goal gave them added confidence as they started to create more chances on goal.
They persistently looked like adding to their lead and with 15 minutes to go the crucial second goal arrived in some style.
Another fine move from defence was played up to Lockett just outside the area who cushioned the ball into the path of Collins and the captain didn’t break stride as he thumped a 25-yard rocket into the top corner giving the ‘keeper no chance as the visitors sealed the three points.
Royston Town: Norriss, Endacott, A Fehmi, Grinham, Bradshaw, Martin Standen, Collins, Young, K Fehmi, Lockett, Robins (O’Brien).