Collen cracker is icing on cake
STUART Collen s 60th minute goal proved to be the jewel that crowned this Division 2A victory on Saturday. Tom Barton, getting a late call-up from the Reserves opened the scoring after two minutes when he cut inside and fired in a low shot that beat the
STUART Collen's 60th minute goal proved to be the jewel that crowned this Division 2A victory on Saturday.
Tom Barton, getting a late call-up from the Reserves opened the scoring after two minutes when he cut inside and fired in a low shot that beat the home keeper at his near post.
This was closely followed by the first of Kris Watters' brace, when he chased a high looping ball to head home Melbourn's second. Chishill did their best to work an opportunity but man-of-the-match Jason Gray and Ashley Bryan kept them at bay.
After 30 minutes, Gray volleyed home a corner, and the fourth from Andrew Morris came following Bryan's 'pass of the match' which found Morris to chest down and slot home.
The second half continued in much the same vein, with Fergus Lury being swapped for Wagstaff, whose over determination and endeavour produced a yellow card within two minutes of being on the pitch.
However, he and Dwayne Wilkins combined on the right to free Collen in the centre of midfield, and in delightfully dummying past a home defender he curled his shot around the defence, and low into the back of the net.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
The match was sealed, when Andrew Ridden chipped in an accurate cross to find Watters' head for 6-0.
However, Melbourn's hopes of a clean sheet were dashed when Chishill snatched a consolation goal with two minutes remaining.