Collen cracker is icing on cake
STUART Collen s 60th minute goal proved to be the jewel that crowned this Division 2A victory on Saturday. Tom Barton, getting a late call-up from the Reserves opened the scoring after two minutes when he cut inside and fired in a low shot that beat the
STUART Collen's 60th minute goal proved to be the jewel that crowned this Division 2A victory on Saturday.
Tom Barton, getting a late call-up from the Reserves opened the scoring after two minutes when he cut inside and fired in a low shot that beat the home keeper at his near post.
This was closely followed by the first of Kris Watters' brace, when he chased a high looping ball to head home Melbourn's second. Chishill did their best to work an opportunity but man-of-the-match Jason Gray and Ashley Bryan kept them at bay.
After 30 minutes, Gray volleyed home a corner, and the fourth from Andrew Morris came following Bryan's 'pass of the match' which found Morris to chest down and slot home.
You may also want to watch:
The second half continued in much the same vein, with Fergus Lury being swapped for Wagstaff, whose over determination and endeavour produced a yellow card within two minutes of being on the pitch.
However, he and Dwayne Wilkins combined on the right to free Collen in the centre of midfield, and in delightfully dummying past a home defender he curled his shot around the defence, and low into the back of the net.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
The match was sealed, when Andrew Ridden chipped in an accurate cross to find Watters' head for 6-0.
However, Melbourn's hopes of a clean sheet were dashed when Chishill snatched a consolation goal with two minutes remaining.