Cokenach hold on for second spot
ROYSTON and Cokenach under-10s met at Meridian School in their last match of the season to determine who would finish as runners-up to St Giles A. Cokenach won the toss and put Royston into bat, and Ben Claydon soon took two wickets to leave the home s
ROYSTON and Cokenach under-10s met at Meridian School in their last match of the season to determine who would finish as runners-up to St Giles A.
Cokenach won the toss and put Royston into bat, and Ben Claydon soon took two wickets to leave the home side struggling on 6 for 2 from the first four overs.
Ryan Judge scored 16 not out to help Royston re-build their innings but two wickets each from Freddie Perkins and Harrison Peak kept the runs in check.
The final pairing of Lorcan George and Evan Goldman both scored 10 not out and as a result Royston managed post a challenging 78.
You may also want to watch:
Cokenach opener Luke McMahon then made a quick-fire 25 not out, including five fours, while Harry Daniels hit 32, including three sixes and three fours.
With seven overs played Cokenach were within nine runs of their target.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
But with "pairs cricket" the score can go down, as well as up, since the batting side loses five runs for every wicket taken, and a clatter of wickets led to an exciting climax.
Cokenach needed five to win off the last over, and Harrison Peak and Ben Claydon steered them to victory.
The win left Cokenach on 30 points - four ahead of third placed Royston.