Club’s juniors in top form
Youngsters showcased their skills by displaying their talents at Melbourn Judo Club s annual championships. The event, which took place at Royston Leisure Centre was based on mixed teams, and this year more than 40 junior members took part. The teams, J
Youngsters showcased their skills by displaying their talents at Melbourn Judo Club's annual championships.
The event, which took place at Royston Leisure Centre was based on mixed teams, and this year more than 40 junior members took part.
The teams, Jaguars, Cougars, Lions, Tigers, Leopards, and Pumas, were drawn into two groups of three teams, with the winners of each group, fighting each other for the gold and silver medal places.
The runners-up spots were decided by the cumulative number of contest wins and points scored.
The Jaguar and Puma teams met in the final, with the outcome proving to be very one-sided, with the Pumas winning 6-0.
Club chairman David Parry thanked all the participants, parents and officials for making the championship a resounding success.
- 1 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 2 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
Leslie Read, one of the club's senior coaches presented two special awards.
Tom Woods won the Player of the Day for his unbeaten performances, and Tom Mason won the Spirit of Judo award for his commitment throughout the competition.
- Anyone interested in joining the club is welcome to view a session at the leisure centre on a Saturday. Club information is available at www.melbournjudoclub.co.uk