Club record set in Royston rugby victory
- Credit: Archant
ALREADY promoted Royston coasted to a 74-7 victory on Saturday against a battling Old Isleworthians in a match which saw a club record broken.
Michael Schurch’s four tries in the victory took his tally to 33 in the Herts/Middlesex Division Two season, one more than the previous club record.
The game started brightly with two early tries from Schurch after some good quick hands from the backs to release the pacey winger.
Royston, in their final match of the season, were full of confidence after their good start, playing flowing rugby and scored two more tries.
A well-worked backs move from the scrum allowed Dan Ritsema to score under the posts and when Billy Richardson got the ball in the opposition 22 soon after he crashed over the line.
You may also want to watch:
Royston were looking comfortable now with the forwards dominating the play, providing plenty of space for the backs to play.
Then arguably the try of the game was scored by fly half Will Cottrell who rounded his opposite man with a nice show and go before side-stepping the full back to score.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Schurch was then able to grab his hat-trick towards the end of the half before Old Isleworthian responded with a try of their own before half time.
The second half didn’t see much of a change with Royston dominating from the off as Ristema got things going again for Royston with a 70 yard kick return.
Richardson added another before Schurch scored his fourth to break the club record for most league tries scored in a season.
With the game now won Royston pushed hard to get to the 79 point barrier that would see them score a 1,000 league points for the season, with Cottrell, Ritsema and George all scoring however they were unable to get that final try.
After the game manager Nick Alford said: “What a season we’ve had, the boys have been fantastic all year.
“At times I think they could have managed themselves.”
Royston are top of the table having completed all of their fixtures, they are just one point ahead of second placed Kilburn Cosmos who complete their fixtures on Saturday against Pinner & Grammarians, where a win would seal the title for Cosmos.