Club record set in Royston rugby victory
- Credit: Archant
ALREADY promoted Royston coasted to a 74-7 victory on Saturday against a battling Old Isleworthians in a match which saw a club record broken.
Michael Schurch’s four tries in the victory took his tally to 33 in the Herts/Middlesex Division Two season, one more than the previous club record.
The game started brightly with two early tries from Schurch after some good quick hands from the backs to release the pacey winger.
Royston, in their final match of the season, were full of confidence after their good start, playing flowing rugby and scored two more tries.
A well-worked backs move from the scrum allowed Dan Ritsema to score under the posts and when Billy Richardson got the ball in the opposition 22 soon after he crashed over the line.
Royston were looking comfortable now with the forwards dominating the play, providing plenty of space for the backs to play.
Then arguably the try of the game was scored by fly half Will Cottrell who rounded his opposite man with a nice show and go before side-stepping the full back to score.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 4 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 5 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 8 Royston Kite Festival expected to attract thousands
- 9 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 10 Double murderer Ian Stewart has whole life order reduced
Schurch was then able to grab his hat-trick towards the end of the half before Old Isleworthian responded with a try of their own before half time.
The second half didn’t see much of a change with Royston dominating from the off as Ristema got things going again for Royston with a 70 yard kick return.
Richardson added another before Schurch scored his fourth to break the club record for most league tries scored in a season.
With the game now won Royston pushed hard to get to the 79 point barrier that would see them score a 1,000 league points for the season, with Cottrell, Ritsema and George all scoring however they were unable to get that final try.
After the game manager Nick Alford said: “What a season we’ve had, the boys have been fantastic all year.
“At times I think they could have managed themselves.”
Royston are top of the table having completed all of their fixtures, they are just one point ahead of second placed Kilburn Cosmos who complete their fixtures on Saturday against Pinner & Grammarians, where a win would seal the title for Cosmos.