Club receive a county boost
MELDRETH Bowls Club hosted their first ladies county friendly game for many years when Cambridgeshire played Bedfordshire, last Wednesday. Members rallied round to prepare the green and clubhouse. But there was no happy ending for the home side, as they
MELDRETH Bowls Club hosted their first ladies' county friendly game for many years when Cambridgeshire played Bedfordshire, last Wednesday.
Members rallied round to prepare the green and clubhouse.
But there was no happy ending for the home side, as they went down by six shots.
Sunday saw Meldreth hold their annual Fletcher Cup Day, held in memory of Leslie Fletcher, one of the club's former bowlers.
You may also want to watch:
This is traditionally a two-wood singles competition for any Meldreth player.
The competition was played this year in a mini-league format, with groups of five players, each having four games of 11 ends.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
The winner of the final was Alan Genockey with Sean Young coming a close second.
Meldreth are holding a charity day in aid of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution on Saturday, July 8.
All are invited to take part in fun games of bowls, with teams of four being formed on the day. The action starts at 2.30pm, with entry costing £2.50 per person.
Bowls will be provided, but all participants need to wear flat-soled shoes.
To book a place, phone Muriel Singleton on 01763 260604. Refreshments and a bar will be available.